First Android Phone Unveiled

Started by Mr. Analog, September 23, 2008, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2010, 06:15:58 PM
I'd be much happier if I could just buy the handset and not have to get all of the locked in crap that Telus/Rogers/Apple/Etc put on there.

True unlocked iphones, androids, nokia etc smart phones retail for $500 - $1000. Compared to $200 on contract...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 04, 2010, 09:53:26 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2010, 06:15:58 PM
I'd be much happier if I could just buy the handset and not have to get all of the locked in crap that Telus/Rogers/Apple/Etc put on there.

True unlocked iphones, androids, nokia etc smart phones retail for $500 - $1000. Compared to $200 on contract...

I'm aware of that. I look at it this way though, if the platform is solid and open then you could stick with it longer and its utility wouldn't be hampered by decisions made by someone else. Not to mention you'd be getting a service contract without paying for a handset, which I can only assume is cheaper.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2010, 11:12:03 PM
I'm aware of that. I look at it this way though, if the platform is solid and open then you could stick with it longer and its utility wouldn't be hampered by decisions made by someone else. Not to mention you'd be getting a service contract without paying for a handset, which I can only assume is cheaper.

1. the only reason anyone purchases an unlocked handset is so that they can go month to month or contract free and jump between providers or travel and pop in a pay as you go sim.. Contracts and rates are the same regardless if you get a phone.

2. 1 year in your device will still be supported, 2 years in the battery will start to fail but will probably still be available to replace, 3 years and your phone is so obsolete you will be looking for a new one anyway.

If you tend not to change providers anyway, contracts are actually the much cheaper way to go.

Tom

The only reason I haven't changed is because I'm locked into a 2 year contract and would rather not have to pay rogers (fido) extra just to cancel.

Probably go Wind with a Droid, G1 or a comparable phone. Or whatever I can most easily afford by the time my contract is up.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I guess the other thing is I want to play around with the Android SDK hehe
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I played around with Andriod when it was first released. I bet its changed somewhat. At least I hope it has. It was kind of annoying.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 06, 2010, 07:09:18 AM
I played around with Andriod when it was first released. I bet its changed somewhat. At least I hope it has. It was kind of annoying.

From what I gather quite a bit has changed, and is a problem for some, there are a lot of different versions out in the wild now with their own little problems here and there.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Sounds about right. Platform fragmentation is fun.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 06, 2010, 09:16:35 AM
Sounds about right. Platform fragmentation is fun.
Flexibility has it's challenges, that's for sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Of coarse if you just find your self an old unlocked iPhone you can run both
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/blog/4333/

Thorin

Here's the actual article with his seven minute video:

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/

This is a dual-booting system

wh-h-hat?  A dual-booting phone?!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful