Main Menu

Canadian DNCL

Started by Melbosa, October 31, 2008, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

If you missed it, Canada now has a Do Not Call Listing.  You can register any number you want at the following website: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/.  Takes 31 days for the the DNCL to take effect.

I just remembered today when I got an unsolicited call on my cell from an automated dialer telling me, in broken computer English, that I won a trip to Mexico!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Also check out Micheal Geist's IOptOut site.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Thanks for the link, I Hate marketing and survey calls.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on October 31, 2008, 02:42:47 PM
Thanks for the link, I Hate marketing and survey calls.

But it's so fun! When you're busy at the Dinner Hour, and you answer a "1-888-xxx-xxxx" phone number, and you answer, let them start their little sales pitch or whatever, then pause for 20 seconds, and say -- a la "Manuel" -- QUE? (Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Even better when you've got an Arnold Schwarzenegger soundboard bookmarked on your nearby computer... oh the fun of wasting their time.

Seriously though, took 8 seconds, and I vehemently thank you for sharing.

Oh, and "just in case" ;) FAQ: "What if I change my mind..."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Keep in mind you only stay registered for three years (https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/faqs-eng#ar_link08), then you have to re-register.

And only Canadian telemarketers or non-Canadian telemarketers calling on behalf of Canadian companies are required to follow the DNCL (https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/faqs-eng#an_link09).  Lets hope that doesn't lead to a bunch of off-shore telemarketing calls.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I signed up and put a note in my calendar to remind myself three years from now (when I'm in my fusion powered flying car!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am sure in 3 years I will care if I have the same phone numbers and start getting calls again.

Bixby

Big Kudos to you for sharing. I had a few very funny and clever ways to mess with Telemarketers in the past, but I bored of the game. This is better.

Tonnica

I submitted my cell number. It's frustrating for my battery to die just because some telemarketer tried to ring my number up. If I wanted your service or charity I'll call you.

Tom

In case you missed my link to IOptOut:

QuoteThe Canadian government passed legislation in 2005 mandating the creation of a do-not-call registry.  The registry takes effect on September 30, 2008, yet many Canadians may be disappointed to learn about the exemption of a wide range of organizations (registered charities, business with prior relationships, political parties, survey companies, and newspapers).  Under the law, exempted organizations are permitted to make unsolicited telephone calls despite the inclusion of the number in the do-not-call registry. However, organizations must remove numbers from their lists if specifically requested to do so.

IOptOut takes advantage of this approach by allowing Canadians to create and manage a personal do-not-call list that begins where do-not-call list ends. Once you register, you'll be able to view a categorized list where you can opt-out of further contact from exempt organizations.  To do this we send an email notification to each organization on your behalf requesting that your name, email address and phone number(s) be removed from their active marketing lists.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

So, is the DNCL working for you?

Apparently, some Canadians are now getting more calls instead of less:

Quote from: http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BobLaytonsBlog2/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10016248
So, how do you like the Do Not Call List, so far?

Joann says she entered her home number on the list, and then added the work and cell numbers for her and her husband. They hadn?t had annoying calls on those but she decided to just make sure. Now those are the ones that are ringing. Sometimes, one right after the other. Callers are offering a chance at a free cruise if she?ll take the time to do a survey. She says she?s been told they can still call as long as they?re not asking her to buy something.

So, how did they get these new numbers? I called the CRTC. They told me they sell the Do Not Call List to registered telemarketers. Eleven thousand two hundred and eighty dollars for the whole book. Six hundred and fifteen if you just want a particular area. But, the nice lady said it could all be co-incidence. Maybe they just found Joann and her husband?s numbers in the phone book, and with the cell phones, everyone knows the prefix so maybe they?re just adding on. We?ll never know for sure. All Joann knows is that she feels like she signed up to be solicited by companies who are still allowed to call.

(emphasis mine)

Now, of course the list needs to be given to telemarketers so that they know not to call.  But all they have to do is change the reason for their call so that it's an allowed reason (now they're "doing surveys for prizes" instead of trying to sell things), and wha-bang, they can call you.  Oh, and the government then has made money off your phone number.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Seems to have worked for me.  Less not more (my banks mostly is all I get now).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on December 17, 2008, 12:49:08 PM
Oh, and the government then has made money off your phone number.

Use this as a complete replacement for all tax revenue, and you've got yourself a deal! "Tax" the stupid and naive, just like scratch lottery tickets! And Hummer owners!

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 17, 2008, 02:04:41 PM
Quote from: Thorin on December 17, 2008, 12:49:08 PM
Oh, and the government then has made money off your phone number.

Use this as a complete replacement for all tax revenue, and you've got yourself a deal! "Tax" the stupid and naive, just like scratch lottery tickets! And Hummer owners!

Going a little off-topic here, but why did you single out Hummer owners?  Don't big rigs consume way more fuel per mile than an H3 with a five cylinder motor (15.6 city / 11.4 highway)?  Wouldn't we use a lot less fuel if we went back to shipping everything in by train instead of truck?  Sure, we'd need to warehouse stuff more so we couldn't keep up this just-in-time shipping, and sure, that'd mean local businesses would have a higher cost of business because of the increased warehousing costs, but think of all that fuel saved!

As far as calling Hummer owners "stupid and naive", I think you're doing quite a bit of bandwagon-jumping there.  Most Humvee and H1 owners know full-well the cost of their hobby and choose it over other hobbies nevertheless.  And they don't complain about the price of diesel, they just alter other parts of their lifestyle so they can continue to off-road in a magnificent machine.

Now, back to the original thread, it'll be interesting to see how many calls are made to DNCL numbers offering prizes in the next year.  Too bad no one's tracking that stat.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on December 17, 2008, 02:21:17 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 17, 2008, 02:04:41 PM
"Tax" the stupid and naive, just like scratch lottery tickets! And Hummer owners!

Going a little off-topic here, but why did you single out Hummer owners?  Don't big rigs consume way more fuel per mile than an H3 with a five cylinder motor (15.6 city / 11.4 highway)?

As far as calling Hummer owners "stupid and naive", I think you're doing quite a bit of bandwagon-jumping there.  Most Humvee and H1 owners know full-well the cost of their hobby and choose it over other hobbies nevertheless.

The "stupid" was in reference to the scratch lottery ticket buyers (Futurama reference ;) ) -- whereas naive = those who added numbers to the DNC list that weren't currently being harassed. o_o

Oh, and "big rigs" are a necessity for the economy. Hummers are purchased by CHOICE by ... shortbus low-selfesteem rich folks ... usually. IMHO. ;)