Doctor Who Season Five

Started by Thorin, June 07, 2010, 04:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

so now that Season Five is done (as is Season Six) I guess it's okay to post this...

Doctor Who: 47 Years in 6 Minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szHO-wEmvio

(by the Fine Bros -- April 15, 2011 ... so only up to the end of Season Five I guess).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Doctor 1 to 7: 2:45 minutes
Doctor 8 to 11: 3:25 minutes

As a long time fan, it's a bit irritating...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Nice find.

And on-topic.

<slow clap>

They had more details on the newer doctors than the old ones, though.

Best quote from the video was about River Song: "It's a classic boy-meets-girl-who's-already-met-boy-and-maybe-married-him-in-the-future story".  I gotta say, Alex Kingston played a great self-assured part-time companion to the doctor, but her reverse timeline (as compared to the Doctor's) was pretty confusing for a while.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 08, 2012, 11:58:32 AM

I hear ya.  I also didn't like that they called it the UNified Intelligence Taskforce without any mention of it originally being the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce.  I mean, are they not even Whovians, just reading off a script or something?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 08, 2012, 12:26:42 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 08, 2012, 11:58:32 AM

I hear ya.  I also didn't like that they called it the UNified Intelligence Taskforce without any mention of it originally being the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce.  I mean, are they not even Whovians, just reading off a script or something?

I reckon...

Ah well I can't say I'm surprised lol, still a pretty good summary of everything up to now

/get off my lawn
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Darren Dirt

Craig Ferguson explains the success of Doctor Who:
"the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism"
http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZa8RMty9M

Mr. Analog

Pretty much, it's always been brains and friendliness vs brawn and ugliness.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I 'unno, I remember Tom Baker wielding a sword and punching people and stuff.  And I remember pretty dark and cynical episodes recently, with David Tennant traveling alone.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 05, 2012, 03:08:44 PM
I 'unno, I remember Tom Baker wielding a sword and punching people and stuff.  And I remember pretty dark and cynical episodes recently, with David Tennant traveling alone.

Ah, that would be "The Seeds of Doom" but I think he was using it in self defence in that case.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

perhaps the magic "can do anything electro-mechanical" screwdriver thingie had dead batteries?

Thorin

lol

I knew you'd know which serial I was talking about :)  There was also The Christmas Invasion, where he duels the Sycorax leader to defend Earth.  He spares the Sycorax leader's life, who then tries to backstab him, so the Doctor kills him.  This is one of the reasons why I say Tennant's doctor was definitely darker and less forgiving.

There's been other ones that he resorted to physical violence in as well, and the Eccleston / Tennant doctors were actually pretty mean to aliens.  "I'll give you one chance to leave this planet", and all that.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

True, I'm a bit fuzzy on the new Doctor Who serials...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 05, 2012, 03:43:40 PM
perhaps the magic "can do anything electro-mechanical" screwdriver thingie had dead batteries?

Good ol' Deus Ex Screwdriverus!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I just decided* to do a rewatching of the Smith/Gillan episodes starting last night ... my brain is mush now (just finished the "which dream world is real?" ep, really reminded me of the Xfiles with the hallucinogenic-digestingplants. And in both, a significant character "dies".

So when is the final series with this group premiering... #forgothowawesomeitwas

PS: 2-parter with the angels = holy crap I forgot how tense and exciting and perfectly written/shot/acted/edited it was!

*okay it was a pretty natural decision, after accidentally getting hooked into watching Craig Ferguson interviews Thursday lunchtime, and seeing one with Karen Gillan and eventually a related video filled with short clips from her doing "bit parts" in "The Kevin Bishop Show" and remembering how fun she is to watch in Whoville...