New Show: The Walking Dead

Started by Thorin, November 15, 2010, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 14, 2014, 04:12:04 PM
I mean, there was obviously a lot of thought given to the story for BB, but imagine that show if it hadn't been renewed past season 3, lets say.  It would have a much less satisfying ending.

There's also quite a few coincidences written into the story, where if things had gone even just a little bit differently the show would have ended right then and there.

Or maybe it's just that I didn't identify with the Walter White character at all, at any level; I felt right from the start that it was all about him feeding his ego rather than doing anything good for his family.

I agree with everything I bolded above. Yet somehow I continue to view it as the most satisfying adult drama viewing experience ever, personally.

I remember the experience of watching it, I often found myself thinking the same "coincidence" POV, but I enjoyed the ride nonetheless (or maybe because of that feeling of empathizing with characters "stuck" in @%&# going bad -- like Fargo, or most other Coen Brothers films, as it spirals downwards you almost say out loud "if I was in the same situation, I can't really imagine taking any different action..." and that was VERY true re. Walter (and Jesse) for much of BB. Which made it more emotionally intense a viewing experience, imo. Along the way I could not feel detached if I tried (but then why would I? shouldn't entertainment be immersive escapism, instead of using logic to find plotholes and inconsistencies early on that ruins the foundation of the fun...)

I also suspected it was about ego more than a dedication to family (especially when seeing how much attention and affection he directed at his virtually "adopted" son to the neglect of his own ACTUAL son) but I put those thoughts away, I actively hoped that it wasn't -- and so watched the series with a "blank slate" of assumptions to better enjoy what the writers were trying to provide to me. Heck, that's why I do with Doctor Who, I feel intense emotions in many episodes that in hindsight are ridiculous and fantastical and illogical... oh well, it was fun to watch dammit!

/BB-defending rant ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.