Why does wireless performance suck so bad...

Started by Lazybones, May 16, 2011, 11:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

This is basically the same problem as advertised internet speeds these days - companies are allowed to state theoretically-achievable speeds, rather than real-world speeds.

There are lots of other products that get to overstate performance, or at the least hide the fact that real-world performance is much worse.  For instance, car manufacturers publish max horsepower, rather than a horsepower chart.  Turns out you can achieve that max horsepower, but only if you're willing to almost red-line the engine.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I didn't get an answer though. You never said if the APs were broadcasting in dual 2.4 and 5ghz mode or not. Or if they had separate radios for the two bands.

But as for performance, you won't really see the theoretical speeds unless you have NO interference, and the fancy ass quad mimo style APs which I'm not sure are even out yet.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 16, 2011, 04:24:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 16, 2011, 02:58:31 PM
The next step of course is Blast Processing ;) with tons of migs and megs of memories

Ah yes, wireless via Russian fighter planes...

Or video games even!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 16, 2011, 11:43:15 AM
Lazy would have to build a faraday cage around his house, and unplug any other devices like wireless phones etc to even get close to the lab conditions used to test the max.

lol, I was searching for "Enemy of the State Faraday Cage" and found this "physics in movies" analysis:
http://www.indiancinemafans.com/board/upload/story-pics-111/hollywood-physics-41771/

also, would you like to build your own? http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread375795/pg1

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

I know there's some foamy stuff you can buy which is used in recording studios, if I remember it's not all that expensive.

Mind you, you'd be living in a padded room... ::)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 16, 2011, 08:09:43 PM
I know there's some foamy stuff you can buy which is used in recording studios, if I remember it's not all that expensive.

You don't? I find it to be quite comforting.

;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

That foam is for absorbing sound not radio waves

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 16, 2011, 09:40:27 PM

That foam is for absorbing sound not radio waves

You can buy material with a faraday cage backing now, pretty slick
By Grabthar's Hammer