electromagnetic railgun superweapon!

Started by Darren Dirt, March 01, 2012, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

who needs gunpowder?

http://news.yahoo.com/navy-railgun-tests-leading-ship-superweapon-2020-171605947.html
http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/851-navy-trains-sights-fast-firing-superweapon.html

"velocitas eradico" lol

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/943-railgun-weapons.html
"The 33-megajoule shot means the Navy can fire projectiles at least 110 nautical miles, placing sailors and marines at a safe standoff distance and out of harm's way, and the high velocities achievable are tactically relevant for air and missile defense"

A megajoule is used to measure the velocity at which mass travels. For example, a 2,240-pound (one-ton) vehicle moving at 100 miles per hour equals one megajoule of energy. That means the railgun's 33-megajoule shot gives off enough energy to move 33 cars at 100 mph.

The railgun circuit is battery-powered and consists of a movable conductor atop two conducting rails in a magnetic field . To fire a projectile, an electric pulse is sent to the railgun, which creates an electromagnetic force that accelerates the projectile to a record-breaking Mach 7.5 speed -- seven-and-a-half times the speed of sound.

RAIL guns are cool... but what about actual genuine non-scifi RAY guns?
http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/198-navy-ray-gun-maritime-laser-demonstrator-.html
http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/61-infographic-when-will-i-get-my-laser-gun.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Fairly old news (to me at least), somewhat pointless technology as I understand that a strike with enough velocity to do damage has to be fairly direct. One of the only things battleships have been good at (well other than being a somewhat expensive fence for aircraft carriers) is radar/GPS guided OTH salvo death delivery, so the article states a range of something like 200 km (LOS to the horizon at sea level would be 5 km), so you get one shot and hope you hit something. The recharge time is pretty long from what I gather as well so coordinated fire is not a tactical option.

Oh well, I guess it's going to be cheaper than the chainguns they use currently for missile defence, hopefully the recharge time comes down though (takes a lot of oomph to generate the power between shots, which is why the tank version is a long way off).

It's funny we will soon have a STFU Gun but still no lasers...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'm guessing they could use this for chainguns that only engage at a mile or less - that'd take a lot less power.  Would make the boat safer if there weren't large stores of explosive powder on board.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That's my thinking too, but damn that's a lot of power to throw around. They'll have to have large banks of capacitors either way which bring new challenges...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 02:14:17 PM
That's my thinking too, but damn that's a lot of power to throw around. They'll have to have large banks of capacitors either way which bring new challenges...
That article has them investing in research for large battery and other "charging" solutions.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Batteries (or anything electric) + seawater = disaster.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 02:23:10 PM
What, you mean like the electric powered subs? Even the desil subs have LARGE battery banks. The nuclear subs may? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how much actual noise the reactor makes (ie: it might have to shut it down when running silent).

Lazybones

nuclear ships / subs are GIANT power plants already so electric weapons make a lot of sense for them.

Thorin

Gunpowder + seawater = not good either.  They manage it, though.  Besides, battleships have, what, 70,000hp generators on board?  And electricity all over the ship?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I recall reading a couple of years ago about an aircraft carrier with iDevice dock/recharge ports. Seriously.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 01, 2012, 02:36:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 02:23:10 PM
What, you mean like the electric powered subs? Even the desil subs have LARGE battery banks. The nuclear subs may? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how much actual noise the reactor makes (ie: it might have to shut it down when running silent).

Which makes them dangerous, I know on WWII submarines if the batteries were ruptured and exposed to seawater there was a pretty good chance of an exothermic reaction, chemical contamination and even explosion.

Same problem with large banks of capacitors which would have to be used no matter the source, probably not quite as volatile as an existing powder room but dangerous nonetheless.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 01:30:23 PM

Did ya notice the later part of my OP?  ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 01, 2012, 03:42:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 01:30:23 PM

Did ya notice the later part of my OP?  ;)

I notice things... SQUIRREL! Squirrel! squirrel!

Ahem, what were you saying?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 03:44:40 PM

Geez, in this self-distracting age we endureenjoy, who needs HarrisonBergeron-esque control by the state?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 01, 2012, 03:51:26 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 01, 2012, 03:44:40 PM

Geez, in this self-distracting age we endureenjoy, who needs HarrisonBergeron-esque control by the state?

People who feel guilty?

All I'll say is this, take away peoples ability to bitch about something and the guns come out...
By Grabthar's Hammer