Main Menu

Mob Grinder

Started by Thorin, May 22, 2012, 10:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Jillions of Mobs

...a few levels later...

Helmet of Protection IV + Respiration III!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

lol

It works good :)  You were in before I changed it, there's a couple of blocks of glass so you can see the skellies better and I'm replacing all the cobble with stone brick and there's a three-layer wheat farm just up a ladder now.  I tried replacing the sides of the drop trap with glass so you could see the skellies falling from outside, but then they lit on fire from the sunlight, so that didn't work.  Wasted a couple stacks of glass panes on that :(

A diamond helmet with Protection IV _and_ Respiration III is an awesome item!  Might want to only wear it when you're building in water, though, so it lasts longer.

I see you have TooManyItems installed, but what are the icons at the top left?  And why does the Diamond Helmet have "310" next to it?

Oh, and what's causing your bow to get damaged?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah, it's pretty badass that's for sure! I got to build a storage locker for it (diving suit lol)

I can't wait to see the changes on the grinder :)

Icons on the top left (from left to right, only works if you are a mod in SMP):
-Creative Mode Toggle
-Downpour Toggle (rain/snow)
-Set-time: Sunrise
-Set-time: Midday
-Set-time: Evening
-Set-time: Midnight

TooManyItems makes the item code visible for every item so you can easily differentiate between similar looking things (also so you know the code if you want to use the /give command)

/give Thorin 310 64

64 diamond helmets!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on May 31, 2012, 02:09:01 PM
The general feeling I get from other forums is that large grinders tend to cause lag, however other do not..

And here I am trying to convince Melbosa to make an iron drop / xp farm with the two zombie spawners he found right close to each other...  Double the spawning, double the power!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

So I finished the Zombie Grinder in my new local.  Two spawners feed one central kill location, but man does the game have a clipping problem if you don't make your walls at least 3x thick when building a grinder that is a single block hallway big.  Once they start to pill up you see "ghost" zombies all over and they can actually push you around (but not attack) so makes falling a bit of a problem.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on July 03, 2012, 08:01:17 AM
So I finished the Zombie Grinder in my new local.  Two spawners feed one central kill location, but man does the game have a clipping problem if you don't make your walls at least 3x thick when building a grinder that is a single block hallway big.  Once they start to pill up you see "ghost" zombies all over and they can actually push you around (but not attack) so makes falling a bit of a problem.

? Falling? Why is there falling?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 08:25:53 AM

My Mob Grinder had to be built on top of a huge open cavern, so yeah I've built walls to hold you in, and to look over, but if you jump up on the retaining wall, there is the potential for these ghosts to push you off.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on July 03, 2012, 08:55:54 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 08:25:53 AM

My Mob Grinder had to be built on top of a huge open cavern, so yeah I've built walls to hold you in, and to look over, but if you jump up on the retaining wall, there is the potential for these ghosts to push you off.

Ah!

Fences should fix that, good ol' annoying fences :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Or glass panes?  Then you can still look out at the pretty scenery...

What's the location?  I wouldn't mind seeing how quickly they pile up with two spawners together :)

Oh, and just wait until you get _squid_ swimming in your completely dry mob-killing area in your spawner.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I'll post the position soon.  I want to clean it up a bit so I don't have to really show you how to get to it.  Right now it is just a bunch of random cut tunnels I made while parting it out and together.  Really can get lost (even I did a few times) with my sudden ending or winding tunnels.

Melbosa

OK Mob Grinder is here: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-1778/64/-152/max/0/0

Look for the Doors right next too the Portal in the Stone Brick section right there.  Follow the signs down from there and you will get there very easily.

WARNING!  The game has a clipping problem when so many of these mobs fill the final spot, so you might not want to try and just sit there and wait for massive pill up, as you may not be able to push your way through the GHOST ZOMBIES to get to the actual ones to kill.

You can get about 4 lvl every 3 mins or so, at least at the lower lvls.

Thorin

Mob Grinder Math!

Mob spawners spawn 4 mobs every 10 to 40 seconds (every 25 seconds average).

- top level is 50, which takes 4,625xp
- 4,625xp / 5xp/mob = 925 mobs
- at the Skelly Farm, this will take 232 spawnings (232 * 4 = 928 mobs); 232 spawnings will take 39 to 155 minutes (97 minutes average)
- at the Double-Zomb Farm, this will take 116 spawnings (116 * (4*2) = 928 mobs); 116 spawnings will take 20 to 78 minutes (49 minutes average)

- top level is 30, which takes 825xp
- 825xp / 5xp/mob = 165 mobs
- at the Skelly Farm, this will take 42 spawnings (42 * 4 = 168 mobs); 42 spawnings will take 7 to 28 minutes (18 minutes average)
- at the Double-Zomb Farm, this will take 21 spawnings (21 * (4*2) = 168 mobs); 21 spawnings will take 4 to 14 minutes (9 minutes average)

So...  If you can wait with enchanting for three more weeks, I recommend it; it'll be 5 to 6 times as fast once 1.3 comes out.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I was exploring and I found two zombie spawners and a skeleton spawner, all close enough to each other to activate at the same time!  I spent this weekend trying to build an xp farm out of them, and finally succeeded..  My skelly xp farm takes about 15 minutes to go from level 0 to 30, this new one takes about 7 minutes.  I've put in an enchantment table, and nicknamed it the "super xp farm".

So how do you get there?  The easiest way is though the nether.  Get to the main spawn chamber and head south (I've marked the path with stone bricks).  About 90 blocks south you'll get to two sets of double doors; the ones to the left are to all my other portals, the ones to the right are to the super xp farm.  Go right and just follow the passage about twenty blocks, then it turns; keep following the passage until you get to a portal marked "Super XP Farm".  This portal will pop you right into the main chamber, and as soon as you appear the spawners will start spawning.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Careful with zombie spawners every hit on a zombie has a chance of spawning another zombie
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Will they spawn if the light levels are too high?

Speaking of zombies, the skelli farm get zombies coming up from the "basement", so you'd best make sure that set of doors is closed. This potentially means the skelli farm could be made to be a bit faster, by making sure things are lit up better, and all paths around the farm are blocked off.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!