NBC stops even trying anymore

Started by Darren Dirt, May 23, 2012, 03:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

See honesty I can understand, "what really matters" is somewhat condescending, just like implying one enjoys entertainment at a higher level than others *cough* ;)

I do admit though, half of the fun of any escapist work is seeing the reflection of the times, how it captures the zeitgeist or at the very least the "feeling". Sometimes television really clicks with a certain time and place (a la Star Trek).

Then there's just plain old nostalgia, which honestly when I watch something like Red Dwarf I'm 14 again and I remember what that time was like.

Anyway, back on track, it's easy to forget all the crap shows that came out, so this new crop of crap will sail through unnoticed for the most part until something decent shows up. And who knows, maybe one of these is an unexpected winner in hiding. I know I didn't watch Seinfeld until season 2 or so...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2012, 06:55:00 AM
I do admit though, half of the fun of any escapist work is seeing the reflection of the times, how it captures the zeitgeist or at the very least the "feeling". Sometimes television really clicks with a certain time and place (a la Star Trek).

Then there's just plain old nostalgia, which honestly when I watch something like Red Dwarf I'm 14 again and I remember what that time was like.

see, even though you're a bit geek-tastic when wearing your Analysis Hat (another life = Film Studies major?) but with the "14 again" comment you just confirmed that deep down inside you know that TV IS MAGIC! imo not much different than where I am at when it comes to entertainment, I just expressed it more snootily (as my brother would say, "Huffington Post - like") ... so sorry about that.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Eh no worries, we're all on the same page I think :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2012, 08:57:12 AM
Except for that bit about Seinfeld.  :-X
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2012, 11:29:02 AM

WhaaaAAA?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2012, 11:42:56 AM

WhaaaAAA?
I was never a big fan. It was too inane for me most of the time.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2012, 11:57:48 AM

WhaaaAAA?

That's what I liked about it, life is very often a rich tapestry of inane occurrences. hah

Different strokes for different folks, "Friends" was a popular sitcom in the 90s and other than Jennifer Aniston I had no interest in it at all lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2012, 12:05:38 PM

WhaaaAAA?

That's what I liked about it, life is very often a rich tapestry of inane occurrences. hah

Different strokes for different folks, "Friends" was a popular sitcom in the 90s and other than Jennifer Aniston I had no interest in it at all lol
My problem with it was mostly the incredibly awkward "slap-stick" or "embarrassing" moments. I'm rather empathetic, so I start (strongly) feeling what various characters might be... It has a profound effect. To the point that I either have to get up and leave the room (if other people are watching tv) or I just stop watching whatever it is and do something else. It is incredibly hard for me to power though moments like that, and if a show has /a lot/ of them, I just don't watch it.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

WhaaaAAA?

My problem with it was mostly the incredibly awkward "slap-stick" or "embarrassing" moments. I'm rather empathetic, so I start (strongly) feeling what various characters might be... It has a profound effect. To the point that I either have to get up and leave the room (if other people are watching tv) or I just stop watching whatever it is and do something else. It is incredibly hard for me to power though moments like that, and if a show has /a lot/ of them, I just don't watch it.

I just hated Jerry, for the most part I found the other characters funny and entertaining... George and Jerry's parents where also a bit much.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on May 24, 2012, 12:30:04 PM

WhaaaAAA?

I just hated Jerry, for the most part I found the other characters funny and entertaining... George and Jerry's parents where also a bit much.
I have to say I liked Kramer.

Thorin

For me it wasn't the characters in Seinfeld that made me watch the show, it was finding out what simple, common, every day activity they would hold to the light and make fun of this week.

On Topic(ish): I wouldn't mind a network coming up with a surprise good show like Married.. With Children.  Although the clothes and hairstyles are outdated, that show's still insanely funny.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 24, 2012, 12:44:45 PM
For me it wasn't the characters in Seinfeld that made me watch the show, it was finding out what simple, common, every day activity they would hold to the light and make fun of this week.

On Topic(ish): I wouldn't mind a network coming up with a surprise good show like Married.. With Children.  Although the clothes and hairstyles are outdated, that show's still insanely funny.

I think it was a combination of both, like how finding a car in a parkade can become an all day adventure through collective bumbling heh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Remember he (Jerry) obviously had(has?) a huge Superman fetish ... which maybe explains why pretty quickly the whole Seinfeld universe became pretty comicbook-y ; characters and character traits that everyone can relate to in slightly ridic situations, except amplified/exaggerated to just beyond the point of recognition (but not too far to the point of being the surreal level of Married With Children or The Young Ones ;) ) imo the most enjoyable episodes had 2 key elements: 3 or 4 sub-stories that collided or merged in the end in some HOLY CRAP way, and 1 or 2 awesome standout secondary characters *key to the plot* (especially funny to see so many Big Name faces appearing and looking so young, from Bryan Cranston to James Spader etc.) <-- That's why the Final Episode had so many of them re-appear "in court", it was like a reward to audience members who who had been there the entire series.

in brief: the "Seinfeld Four" are all unlikeable in various ways, flawed and suffering foot-in-mouth disease ... and yet we can't help but to empathize with so much of what they feel and say. Curb Your Enthusiasm is like that, cranked to 11, concentrated in just Larry David (and in later season, Leon as well).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2012, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: Thorin on May 24, 2012, 12:44:45 PM

I think it was a combination of both, like how finding a car in a parkade can become an all day adventure through collective bumbling heh
Season 1 for sure, seasons 2 and 3 at times, after that it was more character-driven and insane-situation multi-story-driven, instead of Real Life Annoyances observations imo.

Thorin

You know, for some people Married.. With Children and Trailer Park Boys were not so much surreal as uncomfortably-close-to-home.  Maybe you had a better childhood than some :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 24, 2012, 02:37:36 PM
You know, for some people Married.. With Children and Trailer Park Boys were not so much surreal as uncomfortably-close-to-home.

(bonus pun!)