Main Menu

Rank Your Income

Started by Thorin, June 15, 2012, 02:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

We recently had some extra deductions added to our paycheques, which led to a few of us talking about income.  That in turn led to talking about whether you can get rich as a software dev, which finally led to me finding this tool:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/10/25/rank-your-income-where-do-you-stand-compared-to-the-rest-of-canada/

It's based on a 2011 report, which is based on 2010 filings, which is based on 2009 income.  So enter your 2009 income to see how you compare (you remember how much you made three years ago, dontcha?)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Oh, there was also this long article about income inequality in Canada: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/hot-topics/caninequality.aspx  Covered it quite well, I thought.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I find it somewhat saddening that I'm in the top 15%.

I would have thought the avg wealth in Canada was a little more diverse.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2012, 03:06:17 PM
I find it somewhat saddening that I'm in the top 15%.

I would have thought the avg wealth in Canada was a little more diverse.
Old income: Bottom 28%
New income: Top 19.2%.

Yow.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

That's the thing - many many many people make less than $50k in Canada.  In that other article I linked (second post), they talk about average income versus median income.  Average can be driven way up by just one billionaire, whereas median stays pretty much the same until you add thousands more high income earners.  If the average and median are close, there's a pretty even distribution.  If the average and median are separating (as they have been), then the top earners are increasing their income faster than the bottom earners, in other words, the income gap is widening.

Anyway, keep in mind that when people are talking about raising taxes on the top 20%, that includes all three of us (I'm in the same bracket as Mr. A. I think).  Oh, also, taxes are only the cheapest in Alberta for high income earners due to the flat 10% tax.  If you make mid to high income ($40k - $100k), you pay more tax in Alberta than in BC.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2012, 02:48:30 PM
Oh, there was also this long article about income inequality in Canada: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/hot-topics/caninequality.aspx

rofl, disappointing how different the content was from the URL.

my guess is getURL(fullTitle)--> for each symbol-separated "word" except the last one, retain only up to the first 3 characters, return the entire string as lowercase. But actually nope looks like it's not a consistent algorithm since the 2nd word "income" became "in" not "inc", wtf nice consistency website that I never plan on visiting again!  ::)

and agreed re. 50k -- it seems the average rate of pay for most non-trained jobs is around $12-15 per hour, it's tough to make more than that unless it's difficult/dangerous, or you have a 2+ year piece of paper. Even then good luck in making more than $50 per hour unless you are a contractor or a business owner (or partner, e.g. law or medical). Tough to break $200k unless you are solid in investments, from there it's sky-the-limit time.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 15, 2012, 05:41:58 PMmy guess is getURL(fullTitle)--> for each symbol-separated "word" except the last one, retain only up to the first 3 characters, return the entire string as lowercase. But actually nope looks like it's not a consistent algorithm since the 2nd word "income" became "in" not "inc", wtf nice consistency website that I never plan on visiting again!  ::)

LOL yeah, I'm hoping people trying to find out the quality of their canine are prepared for economics...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2012, 08:22:44 PM
LOL yeah, I'm hoping people trying to find out the quality of their canine are prepared for economics...

eep, just realized the URL implies "canine quality" and NOT what I first read into it -- the even-weirder "canine equality" (!)

Lazybones

Hmm well I guess it makes those of us in IT feel good.

I would however like to see one on household incomes because to pull off a single income home these days you need to be far up in the top % to make it.

Thorin

WTF, I even put what the article was about right before the link.  And you're not going to visit the website again because the URL didn't make sense to you?  Whatever.  I don't know if you meant that in jest, but it came across as "I've got nothing to bitch about here so I'm going to bitch about how that URL was constructed".

There's lots of 4 to 8 month certificate programs that get you into $18 to $22 per hour jobs.  And it's also pretty easy becoming a trades apprentice - you get 50% of journeyman's wage as a first year apprentice, 60% as a second year, 70% as a third year, 80% as a fourth, and then 100% when you have your ticket.  Typical journeyman pay is around $30-$36 per hour.  So that's an unskilled job that first year, where you get paid to learn, and you get paid $15 to $18 per hour, with a guaranteed $3 to $3.60 raise every year for the first four years.  But yeah, cracking $50k is still a bit of work.

Yeah Lazy, I hear ya.  I couldn't believe that my income wasn't enough to maintain a household.  Mind you, I spend a lot on sports, and it so happens that roughly what I spend on sports is roughly how much short we are...  So if there was no sports, I guess I could maintain my income.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 16, 2012, 12:26:58 AM
WTF, I even put what the article was about right before the link.  And you're not going to visit the website again because the URL didn't make sense to you?  Whatever.  I don't know if you meant that in jest, but it came across as "I've got nothing to bitch about here so I'm going to bitch about how that URL was constructed".

WTF back bro; laughter/mocking != bitching.

And btw, many of us are able to both make a joke about a URL that was attempting to be helpful/human-friendly but turned into quite the opposite due to its apparent "rule" for the generating of that URL, while at the same time actually clicking the link and skimming/reading its contents. Even after an especially exhausting week.

::)

Mr. Analog

This looks like a question for the expertsexchange... ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 17, 2012, 10:38:42 AM
This looks like a question for the expertsexchange... ;)
Why? Who wants a sex change, and why would you explicitly add in expert, as if they'd use a non expert? :o

>:D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on June 17, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
as if they'd use a non expert? :o

depends on how desperate they are, and how non-"progressive" their electoral division is...

now if you'll excuse me, I have some pens to order from the "island" -- and after that might be looking for a therapist (cf. http://www.esoupblog.com/2007/07/top-10-most-not.html , http://independentsources.com/2006/07/12/worst-company-urls/ , http://agylen.com/2006/07/17/unintentionally-funny-company-urls/ ... )