Companies that don't pay their employees

Started by Thorin, June 25, 2012, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So this is an article about companies that don't pay their employees, so the employees go to Employment Standards and get an injunction for wages owed: http://www.canada.com/Deadbeat+bosses+getting+outed+Alberta/6813194/story.html

Human Services Minister Dave Hancock said roughly 1,700 employers owe 3,500 Alberta workers more than $14 million in unpaid earnings.

[..]

The worst offender is SSEC Canada Inc., which has 129 complaints against it and owes workers a total of $3.5 million.

The company is the Canadian subsidiary of Chinese state-owned oil giant Sinopec, which also faces charges under Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety Act for the 2009 deaths of two Chinese men working on an Canadian Natural Resources project in Alberta's oilsands.

Take away their business license and throw them out of Alberta!

The database can be found here: http://www.employment.alberta.ca/SFW/esjudgments-search.asp

Oh, and this is actual injunctions, so this is after Employment Standards has tried to negotiate in good faith on behalf of the employee.  Makes you wonder how many other employers pay just in time to not get an injunction, but still pay late.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mags

"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I checked, and not yet.  That could mean it didn't get to an official injunction, though.  I know the last place I was at waited until the last possible second before legal action before they paid a contractor they wanted to screw over.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2012, 01:45:28 PM
Quote from: Mags on June 25, 2012, 01:36:30 PM
Upside on their yet?

LOL

that was my 2nd gut reaction... the 1st instinct was "now what was the name of that rotating door place that always advertised in the NAIT job placement board thingie and seemed to NEVER take down their ad?" it was like ISC or something. Grapevine said they literally did not pay a whole lot of these fresh-outta-NAIT n00bs who don't realize that going past a payday and being told some excuse why accounting didn't get the deposit done in time = warning sign that you've just been had, son! I'm sure Melbosa remembers what I'm talking about...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

One thing I've learnt to be carful of is keeping records of what work was requested and what work was paid out. Like if I got an e-mail asking for a little extra (which is cool, don't get me wrong) I keep a hard copy at home.

Why? Because of bad previous experiences and you never realize something has gone to @%&# until it's too late, then you don't have the paperwork to prove yourself.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yup, paper records are always a good idea.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 26, 2012, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2012, 12:32:12 PM
So this is an article about companies that don't pay their employees

on topic? http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1217383--lawsuits-over-denied-overtime-pay-against-cibc-scotiabank-to-go-ahead

Wow, a half a billion in damages plus a tenth of a billion in punitive measures.  Although it _is_ a class lawsuit.  Lawyers' gon' get rich on this one!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

he (company) who lives by the employee-hurting cost-saving-measure DIES by the employee-hurting cost-saving-measure...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 26, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
he (company) who lives by the employee-hurting cost-saving-measure DIES by the employee-hurting cost-saving-measure...

Actually, no, they tend to rake in ridiculous profits and when the going looks tough the muppets at the wheel golden parachute out of harms way or move their operations to countries where slave-labour is a step up.
By Grabthar's Hammer