Oxytocin: incredible molecule! (but it "makes us hate strangers"?)

Started by Darren Dirt, July 13, 2012, 01:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://io9.com/5925206/10-reasons-why-oxytocin-is-the-most-amazing-molecule-in-the-world
1. It's easy to get

One of the neat things about oxytocin is that you can get your fix anywhere and at any time. All you need to do is simply hug someone or shake their hand. The simple act of bodily contact will cause your brain to release low levels of oxytocin ? both in yourself and in the person you're touching. It's a near-instantaneous way to establish trust. And the good news is that the effect lingers afterward. There's even evidence that simply gazing at someone will do the trick ? or even just thinking** about them. And you shouldn't feel limited by the human species; it also helps to hug and play with your pets. And for those who can't produce enough oxytocin on their own, or who feel they could use a boost, the molecule can be easily synthesized and administered as a drug.

I wonder if a handful of these 10 "reasons" = why having a cat or dog is a suggested thing for the depressed or aged (i.e. for those unable to achieve/maintain consistent regular human companionship)

"Dog's gaze at its owner increases owner's urinary oxytocin during social interaction"

** http://oxytocincentral.com/2011/01/oxytocin-%E2%80%93-the-neurochemical-of-everything-good/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think the main reason getting a pet is recommended for people with depression is they can form a bond with something, i.e. they are not alone and can project emotions onto a pet.

Didn't know about oxytocin, that's wild stuff man, wild
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 02:14:22 PM
I think the main reason getting a pet is recommended for people with depression is they can form a bond with something, i.e. they are not alone and can project emotions onto a pet.
Also they tend to make you smile if you happen to like animals, even a tiny bit. And smiling has been tied to longer life (not including taking your own life...). Also there's evidence that even a fake smile makes you happier.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2012, 02:20:44 PM
Also they tend to make you smile if you happen to like animals, even a tiny bit. And smiling has been tied to longer life (not including taking your own life...). Also there's evidence that even a fake smile makes you happier.

It does release endorphins :)

One thing I know I do when I know I'm blue is smile at myself in the mirror, even a fake smile, this usually makes me laugh and changes my whole day :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2012, 02:20:44 PM

It does release endorphins :)

One thing I know I do when I know I'm blue is smile at myself in the mirror, even a fake smile, this usually makes me laugh and changes my whole day :)
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 02:23:43 PMI'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it people like me.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Pff, I'm not drunk enough for that, or at least I still have faculties for reason, so I think I'm overqualified at the moment.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 02:50:32 PM
I'm just sayin' it works :)
Indeed it does :)

I just think of that SNL skit every time something like this comes up.

In that one group counselling thing, they kept saying "think positive" and every single time, that came to mind. I think it actually helped though, because it always made me chuckle, or at least smile :D

Mr. Analog

Well good! Gotta give yourself some power sometimes

I also find music helps ge things rolling.

I remember reading that listening to music will make you feel good and also gives you the desire to listen to more music, it's very true
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 03:14:00 PM

I remember reading that listening to music will make you feel good and also gives you the desire to listen to more music, it's very true
Ok, now listen to Adam's Song. Then listen to I will remember you while thinking of Toy Story 2.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2012, 03:32:46 PM

Ok, now listen to Adam's Song. Then listen to I will remember you while thinking of Toy Story 2.

Weirdly I find exciting / inspirational stock music a lot of fun:
http://youtu.be/dlZOuo2cezI

Gets the creative juices flowing
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 03:47:59 PM

I was just saying that not all music is going to make you feel good, or give you the desire to listen to more ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2012, 03:51:04 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2012, 03:47:59 PM

I was just saying that not all music is going to make you feel good, or give you the desire to listen to more ;D

That's not what the study I read showed, then again listening to fun music makes you feel good...

http://youtu.be/-G9UYn3fynU

Also, cool art by Tim Rogerson :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt