Pop music really does all sound the same

Started by Mr. Analog, July 30, 2012, 09:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well, at least according to this article:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/07/science-music

It's also increased volume by 9 dB over the last 50 years or so.

I know this is going to be a bit anecdotal and exposes my bias but a couple of years ago I decided to go on a musical journey of the Billboard Top 100 from 1946 to 1990 and man, it was a voyage of discovery! The main thing I found was that some time around the 50s there was a lot more variety in popular music, not just rock n' roll but so many genres and different sounds populated the Top 100. The 60s saw a lot of musical diversity as well but things started to become more homogeneous as rock n' roll rose to prominence and other forms shrank away from the mainstream by the 70s, by the 80s there was a definitive formula.

I'll tell you one thing though, after listening to thousands of popular songs you gain appreciation for diversity, also you discover (or rediscover) sounds you love.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 30, 2012, 09:24:57 AM
I'll tell you one thing though, after listening to thousands of popular songs you gain appreciation for diversity, also you discover (or rediscover) sounds you love.

Well, there's always Rush -- heck they've even got a new album and tour this year...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Ah, good ol' Rush, they charted in the top 100 in 1977, 1980, 81, 82 and 86
By Grabthar's Hammer