Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Trailer for Ender's Game:

http://youtu.be/vP0cUBi4hwE

The effects look kind of ... video gamey to me

Like if Gradius was 3D.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I read the thread name and got all excited!  But then I saw the trailer...

Things I noticed:

1. When I read Ender's Game, Ender was much smaller than the other kids, mostly due to his young age compared to the others.
2. There was no mention in the trailer of his AI game that he played the entire time, it was a major plot point in the book.
3. The zero-grav battle room looks about what I expected it to, although in the movie it's more lit up and glittery whereas in the book it was dark and brooding.
4. For some reason I thought Harrison Ford was Dennis Quaid.
5. They showed the damn ending in the trailer, at least the ending to the book.
6. I hope they get it at least 90% right, then this movie will be a good, thoughtful movie.  As long as it doesn't go big on explosions and small on plot exposition.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 07, 2013, 04:17:33 PM
... no mention in the trailer ... was a major plot point in the book
lit up and glittery
big on explosions and small on plot exposition.

Welcome to the 21st century, where the Big Screen is a smaller business than what grew from the success of the Atari 2600. And thus, the suits and bean counters consistently and repeatedly pillage (and rape!) from creativity wells and/or our collective  childhood memories and distill and dilute it down to LCM to ensure a profit to the point where you shake your head confused why its got the same title.

"Ender's Game is an 'unfilmable' book, not because it's too much violence but because everything takes place in Ender's head."
- Orson Scott Card, 2013

"the film's storyline would be a fusion of Ender's Game and its parallel novel, Ender's Shadow, focusing on the important elements of both ...turns it into a buddy movie"
- Orson Scott Card, 2010

(thanks for the clarity, Wikipedia!)

PS: as pointed out by one of the "Cracked" series (I think "Topic Of The Day", but I'm too lazy to check right now) almost every action movie trailed of the mid-2000s to the present = MUST contain some variation (or complete rip-off) of the Inception horn. This one does, before it even reaches the 30 second mark.  ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Personally I blame the Star Wars Special Editions for starting the whole "DOOOOJ!" (plus bast wavey clouds) thing

I blame The Matrix for the grating "wub through slowing down fan blades" sound of anything big, mechanical, menacing and CG
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer