need media streamer suggestions (WD TV Live, Roku, etc)

Started by Thorin, July 06, 2013, 10:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

You can buy older Media Set Top boxes and probably cover these.  A roku original or google tv gen 1 should both do this just fine and can probably get cheap.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I was looking for google tv devices, but they all seem to be non existent.

was looking at a WD Play. Or might go for a WD Live just to play with the regular file playback.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 08:49:50 AM
I was looking for google tv devices, but they all seem to be non existent.

was looking at a WD Play. Or might go for a WD Live just to play with the regular file playback.

If you have a Plex setup I would not bother with the WD, I know that is not your current objective but I personally wouldn't go for one.

If you are looking for a Google TV box in Canada the Sony NSZGS7 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=8888109225&vpn=NSZGS7&manufacture=Sony is just about the only one I have seen... I swear I have seen it at costco and walmart but it isn't listed on the website. It is just under $200 however so it makes the Roku look inexpensive.

Tom

Yeah, $200 is too much for a netflix/youtube device imo.

And I don't need to bother with plex for my main media box. It's actually a very silly idea as it would make seeking far more annoying than it already is. I can just switch back to my media box and get near to local playback capability via my GbE network.

Tom

Looked at reviews for that sony, and apparently, it sucks pretty hard. no lock on the remote touch interface, the unit needs regular reboots due to locking up or apps that stop working randomly.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 01:02:08 PM
the unit needs regular reboots due to locking up or apps that stop working randomly.

FYI this is fairly common for a lot of Android based units..

The Roku is probably your simplest bet, or the WDTV

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on August 02, 2013, 01:56:00 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 01:02:08 PM
the unit needs regular reboots due to locking up or apps that stop working randomly.

FYI this is fairly common for a lot of Android based units..
Inexcusable imo. My tablet is fine. There's no significant difference, except that the media player has no direct attached screen. still has a screen though.

I've had the privilege of using my mom's roku xs, and having to do tech support for it since I got back home. its a pos :P

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 02:00:42 PM
I've had the privilege of using my mom's roku xs, and having to do tech support for it since I got back home. its a pos :P
Its interesting how everyone is different eh?  I wife loves the Roku XS but hates the WD Live! and she never once has had to ask me how to use the Roku.  But many times  asked me about stuff with the WD Live!.  Weird eh?

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on August 02, 2013, 02:07:00 PM
Its interesting how everyone is different eh?  I wife loves the Roku XS but hates the WD Live! and she never once has had to ask me how to use the Roku.  But many times  asked me about stuff with the WD Live!.  Weird eh?
My mom doesn't really have issues understanding the Roku. Its when it does stupid @%&# like forget how to connect to the internet that I tend to get a call from her. She even does what she can to fix it before calling me.

She's had to do a system restore several times now.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 02:13:47 PM
My mom doesn't really have issues understanding the Roku. Its when it does stupid @%&# like forget how to connect to the internet that I tend to get a call from her. She even does what she can to fix it before calling me.

Really eh.  Not one problem with mine, and works online, with plex, and with the games on the device itself.  Wife just loves it.  Maybe you got a lemon?

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on August 02, 2013, 02:23:09 PM

Really eh.  Not one problem with mine, and works online, with plex, and with the games on the device itself.  Wife just loves it.  Maybe you got a lemon?
How often does your internet drop out? Try unplugging it, or killing it's access to wifi (without turning it off/disabling it on the roku itself). See if the roku or youtube/netflix manage to figure it out after you give it access again. I haven't tried wired on the xs, so I have no idea if that's a problem.. but she could never get access again on the roku with out a reboot, or hard reset after the internet dropped out when using it.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on August 02, 2013, 02:23:09 PM

How often does your internet drop out? Try unplugging it, or killing it's access to wifi (without turning it off/disabling it on the roku itself). See if the roku or youtube/netflix manage to figure it out after you give it access again. I haven't tried wired on the xs, so I have no idea if that's a problem.. but she could never get access again on the roku with out a reboot, or hard reset after the internet dropped out when using it.
Hmmm well mine is wired in, and my internet may blip once a month if that.  I'm not sure how reliable it is in a flaky internet situation or bad wireless signal.

Lazybones

We have to power cycle our roku once or twice a month, but that is about it... Our power is somewhat unreliable so that equates to almost the same frequency as internet outages.

Tom

I might try it. my wired/wireless connection don't drop out very often. less often than my power drops out. :D

we'll see. wasn't entirely happy with the firmware that came with it either. was kinda chunky/slow. but I've heard the xs recently got a firmware update.

It just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 02:52:00 PM
I might try it. my wired/wireless connection don't drop out very often. less often than my power drops out. :D

we'll see. wasn't entirely happy with the firmware that came with it either. was kinda chunky/slow. but I've heard the xs recently got a firmware update.

It just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I think you have overly high expectations for $99 devices. The WDTV is really the only other solid option.