Home internet Telus offering up to 10Mbit UPlinks in some areas

Started by Lazybones, November 12, 2013, 10:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 12, 2013, 03:19:45 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 01:58:13 PM
Confirmed I am NOT getting 5mbit will be calling support tonight
Have you power cycled the modem (I assume you have, but you never know)? Sometimes they wont automatically re-provision and need to be restarted.

Plan on doing that first when I get home.... It has however been power cycled at least once in the past month.

Lazybones

Tech told me the rep was wrong and the Broadband 50 is still 3mbit up.

Went back to retentions and I now have broadband 100/5 at the same price fore the next 12 mo..

I guess that will due for now and if they increase the speeds I can step my plan down..

I still find it interesting that the TELUS INternet 50 bare plan for $80/mo claims 10Mbit upload
http://www.telus.com/internet/plans/internet-50/

Lazybones

O I should note that the RT-N16 router can route at up to 91Mbits/s but if you turn QoS on your throughput tops out around 60mbits.

Lazybones

Also somehow the upgrade removed my bridged configuration so my setup is double NATTED now...

Have to wait till tomorrow to hear back from them... Grrrrrrrr. Wish I had checked my IP when I had them on the phone the first time.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Ugh that sucks. Those people need to remember the settings and re-apply them.

That said, the 100/5 plan is due for an upgrade to 100/10 in the next few months in many areas. So there's that to look forward to.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 08:28:17 PM
O I should note that the RT-N16 router can route at up to 91Mbits/s but if you turn QoS on your throughput tops out around 60mbits.

So what you're saying is that your internet connection is now faster than your router can handle?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 13, 2013, 09:55:05 AM

So what you're saying is that your internet connection is now faster than your router can handle?
Sounds that way.

Lazybones

Yes, it appears that way... the RT-N16 isn't exactly a top of the line router..
It appears its line speed is about 91 and its advanced QoS speeds is only 60.

However QoS is only a big deal if you are consuming the whole line...

I hope Shaw can put my service back into route mode... Can't access any of my home hosted stuff now.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 13, 2013, 10:04:35 AM

I hope Shaw can put my service back into route mode... Can't access any of my home hosted stuff now.
They can. Last time I upgraded, my modem was reset as well, just called tech support, told them I wanted it in bridge mode, and it happened within minutes.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 13, 2013, 11:14:04 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 13, 2013, 10:04:35 AM

They can. Last time I upgraded, my modem was reset as well, just called tech support, told them I wanted it in bridge mode, and it happened within minutes.

Ya the 24/7 support isn't so hot when you call late at night it seems.. I didn't notice the route / bridge issue till fairly late last night when I was looking into something that stopped working.

Lazybones

So this has turned into a Shaw support story thread but they fixed the issue and my stuff at home is back online..

Now I just need to double check my bills for a few months...

Nice thing is that the same guy I talked to last called me today to compete the fix and verify everything was OK. Shaw support is better than others that is for sure.

Thorin

Funny how it started at "Telus has great speed" and morphed into "Shaw is keeping me happy with their support".

I noticed in another thread that even Melbosa has switched back to Shaw - I guess your Telus contract finished, Mel?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Well in a round about way I got what I wanted... Honestly if I could get a 10/10 Plan for less than I pay now I would be happy... It is rather rare that I see the full benefit of such a high download speed.

Lazybones

So I i did some checking and my router is supposed to be capable of up to 140Mbits routing according to small net builder..

I updated the firmware then check the bandwidth results during the speed tests on the routers throughput page... according to it I am getting 99Mbits / 5.1Mbits with QoS dissabled..

Haven't re-tested with QoS, not sure I need to..

Interesting thing in the latest firmware it not only supports 3G USB fail-over but also supports load-balancing between your Wired and Wireless 3G connection.