upgrading Usamot

Started by Thorin, January 15, 2014, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm out of town next weekend, going to Red Deer for a ringette tournament.

I'd love to start now, I actually have free-ish time tomorrow.

How will we know how far out the protected area of spawn is?  I think we should make it a flattened area with fencing, or something.  Or even a nice glassed-up building.  Can we make it monster-proof?

Tom, let us know if there's anything we can do personally or financially to help get stuff set up...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2014, 09:26:25 PM
I'm out of town next weekend, going to Red Deer for a ringette tournament.

I'd love to start now, I actually have free-ish time tomorrow.

How will we know how far out the protected area of spawn is?  I think we should make it a flattened area with fencing, or something.  Or even a nice glassed-up building.  Can we make it monster-proof?

Tom, let us know if there's anything we can do personally or financially to help get stuff set up...

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn#Player_spawning
QuoteOn multiplayer servers, a 33x33 block area centered at the default spawn point, and spanning the full height of the map, is "protected". Players, other than server operators, cannot place or destroy blocks in the protected area, use doors, activate switches other than pressure plates, or open chests or other blocks which contain items. Creepers can still destroy terrain in the protected area and TNT placed outside of the protected area will destroy surrounding blocks as usual. Along with this, portals from the Nether can connect to the protected area, water/lava/fire can spread from outside into the protected area, and pistons can push blocks inside as well. Players can place blocks on the edge of the protected area if placed against the side of a block on the outside of the area. However, if the edges of the protected area are avoided, small, indestructible structures can be built. Paintings that are put up can be removed by players in the safe zone.

Should be fairly easy to mark out by having a non OP player spawn in and digg around the protected zone to mark it out.

Thorin

I checked out that seed, couldn't find a mesa or even a desert for sand for glass.

I wonder if in 1.7+, sand is gonna become the new diamond...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

You probably need to make sure to use 1.7.2, incase 1.7.4 changed the map gen...

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2014, 09:26:25 PM
Can you get me a few spare hours where I'm not tired? That would probably do it.

I'll try and get it done soonish.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 16, 2014, 09:42:38 PM
I checked out that seed, couldn't find a mesa or even a desert for sand for glass.

I wonder if in 1.7+, sand is gonna become the new diamond...

X:-833 Z:44 both mesa and desert.

Lazybones

Tool to view the bioms of seeds (warning will show other things if enabled..
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/626786-v36-amidst-strongholds-village-biome-etc-finder-174/

Here are the two seeds I suggested...

4031384495743822299 - All bioms within 2000 blocks of spawn however spawn has hardly any trees you start near a huge desert

6929581978667913065 - A more tree friendly sees with a measa in a reasonable distance, smaller deserts.

FYI screen shots attached are about 1500x1500 blocks.

Lazybones

If still not happy just down load AMIDST and hit control-r until you find something interesting...

Lazybones

Another again at about a 1500x1500 zoom so reasonable travel to the visible bioms.

LennyLen

I took a screenshot of an Overviewer map of the6929581978667913065  seed:

I've marked out what I think would be good limits to set on the initial spawn city.  It's big enough to hold everything that would be needed and apart from felling the trees within it's limits, it wouldn't encroach too much on any wilderness. 

QuoteI think we should make it a flattened area with fencing, or something.  Or even a nice glassed-up building.  Can we make it monster-proof?

The area I've marked could be fenced, though it would take a while.  The trees that would need to be felled to connect the two open areas would provide a lot of wood for fencing.

Tom

Oh, I can turn off most of the spawn protection, I think it can be shrunk to a 1x1 block size. I think its far less annoying that way.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 17, 2014, 08:40:05 AM
Oh, I can turn off most of the spawn protection, I think it can be shrunk to a 1x1 block size. I think its far less annoying that way.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/14678/how-do-we-make-our-multiplayer-spawn-area-less-of-a-disaster-zone
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 17, 2014, 10:53:26 AM
Quote from: Tom on February 17, 2014, 08:40:05 AM

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/14678/how-do-we-make-our-multiplayer-spawn-area-less-of-a-disaster-zone

As for the creepers we already have damage protection set for them on the current server..

Any feedback on my seeds? I know everyone likes to be on all at once however I don't think we will be timed that well. My free time comes and goes and is all over the clock.

Mr. Analog

I think with a new server we'll see a lot more people online
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I'll still have a hard time finding free time that isn't supposed to be sleeping time to play.  Probably well into March.  Should be better come April, but maybe I'll just have to start planning a weekly game night and put it in my calendar or something...

Sorry Lazy, haven't had a good look at the suggested seeds yet.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I like both of those seeds.