Recent posts

Tech Chat / Re: What would be a good CPU u...
Last post by Mr. Analog - March 29, 2022, 04:45:40 PM
This is why I pay someone else for the headache

Apparently the liquid cooling system that we picked out had a pump failure out of the box

On one hand can't win with this build so far but on the other hand I'm not the one struggling with it!
Last post by Mr. Analog - March 29, 2022, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on March 29, 2022, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 PMSO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119762
Welcome to the Lani Li club lol... same case both I and @Suronal have.

Nice
Last post by Melbosa - March 29, 2022, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 PMSO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

Welcome to the Lani Li club lol... same case both I and @Suronal have.
Last post by Mr. Analog - March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 PM
SO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

This means my old system is virtually a whole computer all it's missing is a power supply and a video card.

It's still up for grabs @Thorin
Help / Re: I am confused and somewhat...
Last post by Tom - March 26, 2022, 08:18:40 AM
I /had/ everthing hooked up to UPSs, but my UPS batteries keep dying before I get around to buying new ones, and last time I had time to deal with crap the actual cost to get the large SLA batteries for my UPSs shipped over was a little hard to swallow.

AND the movers managed to destroy one of my UPSs. so now I get to buy a new one. Or see if I can get away with my consumer/soho cyberpower UPS thats been out in the shed/garage for a few years. sigh. its battery is certainly dead and the whole unit might be by now as well. we shal see.

Somehow the power goes out here in the new house more than in evergreen. Evergreen basically has ONE main power grid connection. This part of the city should be fully integrated into the grid. yet somehow we've had two full 1+ hour outages in the past few months.

:shrug:

Powerstrip wise I typically go with beefy strips. Don't usually care about the actual brand, so long as it has some kind of guarantee or is HEAFTY and rated for plenty of KV (of surge protection) and W/VA (load). At least for computers. For random junk, I use just about any power strip as long as it isn't a POS.
Last post by Melbosa - March 25, 2022, 01:27:38 PM
I'm like lazy, either my computers are on a UPS line or on a Name Brand surge protected technical power strip (CyberPower mostly in my house) that comes with hardware guarantee values - for me those seem to be the best for dealing with power.  Most of mine also have an indication that tells me if the line itself is good and grounded properly, regardless of anything being plugged in.
Last post by Mr. Analog - March 25, 2022, 01:08:17 PM
My power strips are both Dynex
Last post by Lazybones - March 25, 2022, 01:03:56 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 11:10:18 AMI never thought of that. Might be time to change my power strips anyway

Are they branded or generic power strips.. Many power bars are nothing but bare wires on a conductive plate.

Normally I run my gear through at a minimum an APC / Tripplite / Cyberpower branded power bar with a surge rating.

My main computer and NAS are both connected to their own 1500VA UPS I picked up costco.
Last post by Mr. Analog - March 25, 2022, 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on March 25, 2022, 10:55:42 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 08:32:16 AMYeah all my plugs are solid and this problem only appears when I turn my machines off. Having everything running? No problems.

I am perplexed
If you have a device/power bar with a ground fault, it can cause a brownout situation that can pop a breaker.  Extremely rare, but is possible.  When powered up you won't see it cause the current will be constant.

I never thought of that. Might be time to change my power strips anyway
Last post by Melbosa - March 25, 2022, 10:55:42 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 08:32:16 AMYeah all my plugs are solid and this problem only appears when I turn my machines off. Having everything running? No problems.

I am perplexed
If you have a device/power bar with a ground fault, it can cause a brownout situation that can pop a breaker.  Extremely rare, but is possible.  When powered up you won't see it cause the current will be constant.