Here is what I want: USB Virtual Drive in Windows

Started by Melbosa, April 11, 2014, 11:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I've been looking all day for this and can't find it.  I want a File that can be mounted to Windows as a USB Key and be rewriteable.  I believe this is easier in linux but the software on this specific USB Stick is Windows Only.

Any ideas?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I think something is being lost in the wording here..

You have an app that runs off of a USB Key? That you want to run in a VM?

Is it boot-able?

Melbosa

I have an app from GM that is copy protected and executes on a USB stick (extracts a TomCat webserver right on the stick), and yes I want it to run in a VM.  USB over Ethernet is too slow as I have that solution onsite.  I want to Ghost said USB stick to a Virtual USB stick on a VM (have ghosted this to another USB Stick and works fine with copy protection).

Lazybones

Melbosa

ESXi 5.5, but I am using blades that cannot take the USB Stick directly (and I wouldn't want to marry the VM to a Host).

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on April 11, 2014, 01:10:27 PM
ESXi 5.5, but I am using blades that cannot take the USB Stick directly (and I wouldn't want to marry the VM to a Host).

Try converting it into a CD image...

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23052

Also if it doesn't have a boot requirement just try coping the directory to a virtual disk drive and have that as the only content.

Melbosa

Can't convert to CD Image as those mount as Read Only.  Even if I could the copy protection software it installs is looking for the Hardware ID of a USB Stick.  I've tried the copy to local drive, and that is how I went down the "research the copy protection" route to find out what I could do to beat it.

Its funny because QEMU and Bochs both do emulated USB sticks in their products.  Sounds like VirtualBox might go there as well.  Was hoping someone figured this out for VMware/HyperV shops.

Tom

If I have time this week, I'll look at whipping something up if you can't find anything before then. If you could forward me that driver example you found, that'd help. :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!