Handy Travelling Tip for the USA... DON'T

Started by Mr. Analog, September 11, 2014, 03:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

"I choose to remain silent"

"I do not consent to this search"

"Am I free to go?"

-----

The idea of seizing cash when found in large quantities is that this will slow down criminals.  In theory, it's a good idea.  The problem, of course, is the practice; police departments get to use the cash, so they see it as a way to raise funds to buy themselves stuff, rather than as a way to stop criminals from engaging in crimes.  Of course the criminal organizations just treat this as a cost of doing business, since it doesn't actually put any high-ranking members of criminal organizations in jail.

I have the same problem with photo radar - it does not deter rich people from speeding, they simply pay the fine and continue to drive fast because they have enough money to keep paying the fine.  The police departments, meanwhile, get a portion of the proceeds given back to them.  They're now more interested in making money off of speeders than in actually stopping speeders from driving.  If they switched back to real speed traps where the officer can identify who's driving and give them tickets that put points against their license, then rich and poor alike will receive the same punishment (license suspension after X demerit points), and our streets would be actually safer, rather than our police departments actually richer.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Seized assets should go to charities in my opinion, that would solve the abuse problem.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Cash shouldn't be allowed to be seized unless an arrest has occurred.  This would then balance the scales by opening the police departments to wrongful arrest lawsuits when they arrest only to take the money.

As I said before, the theory is good - taking money away from criminals to hamper their activities.  But in practice, it's turned into taking money away from anyone they feel like.  And in that sense, the highway patrol troopers have sunk to the level of Russian police.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well they're supposed to obtain a warrant, unless people allow an unwarranted search, which is what happens

The tactic used so far is something like "I think I smell weed" and then proceed to conduct an unwarranted search and seizure. Most travellers miles from home just want the whole thing done and behind them so they can continue onward

I mean imagine being in Mississippi heading back north in a vehicle full of kids and your options include going to the station, waiting, filling in paperwork, getting a hotel, possibly going to court, etc, etc or letting them rifle through your stuff

Most people I think pick the latter, not realizing it's an endemic scam
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 11, 2014, 05:36:31 PM
Cash shouldn't be allowed to be seized unless an arrest has occurred.

This BIG TIME.

Over the years as I've read various poker forums, it's amazing how often a high-stakes pro is stopped and made to feel like a criminal just because they are carrying cash when moving through airports; it's like "guilty until proven innocent" but rather tough to PROVE that you did not get the cash from a criminal activity ain't it? Similar stories when it came to cops (though less frequent than in airports).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Not sure I'd keep my winnings in my pocket, I'd take it to the bank as soon as I can.  And not because I'm worried about looking like a criminal, but because I'm worried about it dropping out of my pocket or being stolen somehow (beyond unwarranted search and seizure).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 12, 2014, 09:23:38 AM
I mean imagine being in Mississippi heading back north in a vehicle full of kids and your options include going to the station, waiting, filling in paperwork, getting a hotel, possibly going to court, etc, etc or letting them rifle through your stuff

The thing is, in the articles originally linked there is no travelling to the station, filling out paperwork, or anything.  If you say no, you can't search my vehicle, they have no probably cause to arrest you so they can't take you to the station.  And they don't want to arrest you, they just want to take the money, because if they arrest you for an unfounded reason they can be sued for wrongful arrest.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Tom

Do I need to break out a classic XKCD on you a$$?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 12, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
Do I need to break out a classic XKCD on you a$$?

Or how about this as one possible solution ;)

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 12, 2014, 11:55:39 AM

To be clear, are you implying that those who watch TV are "sheeple"?  Don't you watch a crapload of TV via the internet, and now even pay for cable?

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 12, 2014, 12:02:50 PM

Hah!  Of course, the serious answer would be, "I choose to remain silent.  Am I free to go?", rather than "Spiders".
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 12, 2014, 12:36:22 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 12, 2014, 11:55:39 AM

To be clear, are you implying that those who watch TV are "sheeple"?  Don't you watch a crapload of TV via the internet, and now even pay for cable?

Nothing deep. Just found that comic today by a fluke, so sharing it as an observiation that due to the instant-media-consumption age we live in today how freakin' easy it is to be an armchair critic of social injustices without actually doing much about it (and how MANY distractions there are nowadays, one for every "taste"). So feeling kinda sad/guilty I guess, but also like to laugh (truth is best served wrapped up in a joke sandwich!)

Mr. Analog

Should draw another one focusing on "Slactivism"

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M GONNA DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT" *clicks LIKE button*
By Grabthar's Hammer