Plex on the Xbox One and Xbox 360!

Started by Lazybones, October 06, 2014, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah I've been following the thread from the developer... super excited to see if it is a full replacement for my WD/Roku.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

The thing that surprises me the most is that Microsoft is green lighting this App at all.

Getting back to the roots of XBox actually being more of a media platform than a game console... which is good IMO

I for one welcome my new Plex supporting overlord
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think that they are trying now to get deeper into general entertainment, rather than just focusing on games, they need a good, somewhat popular app like this.

They've opened up quite a bit lately. and thats a good thing.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Well, they sort of tried with the XBone with the cable feed overlays, which as far as I know wasn't really a selling feature. Then there's Windows Media streaming which I didn't find very easy to work with.

This way they let a third party (Plex) develop a more flexible link between home media collections and the users' television set.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Well their stuff didn't go well, trying to work with the content creators and cable providers is like herding invisible rabid cats.

Now with their new openness and "indie" focus, opening up the xbox platform to more people, apps like this should help their cause of having an all in one entertainment console.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

It makes more sense for them to offload risk to a popular 3rd party IMO

I just got the e-mail from Plex, time to install the app on my XBox :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

It must only be available in the US right now because I don't see it in the App store
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Two comments:

1. You no longer need a Live Gold subscription to use Netflix or other media apps wich was a big step.
2. Xbox One supports Cinavia copy protection so it will be interesting to see how much personal content for newer movies work on the platform.. Same with the PS4 from what I understand.

Melbosa

PS3 definitely did support Cinavia...

Melbosa

Interesting that this dude was thwarted by an official app: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104978-plex-for-xbox-one-is-a-go/page-64 - read last post.  Last time I was following this development it looked to be like he was the official developer for the XBox app... guess not.

Melbosa

You can see the support forum here if you are a PlexPass member: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/148-plex-for-xbox-one/

Might be something about not seeing in CA yet Mr. Analog.

Melbosa

This might be your problem Mr. Analog (Although you might have an XBone now... I don't know as haven't been over in a while), right from the link at top of post:

They?ll be available for free for Plex Pass members on Tuesday Oct 7th for the Xbox One, and shortly after that for the Xbox 360.

The forums are indicating no 360 version as of yet.

Mr. Analog

Their e-mail should have been more clear about that then, from the way it reads it made it sound like it was available on all systems, this is obviously not true. Marketing Fail
By Grabthar's Hammer