Doctor Who season 8

Started by Thorin, November 03, 2014, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 10, 2014, 10:35:25 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 10, 2014, 10:32:39 PM
Must resist urge to open spoiler tags...

Muah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

The downside to having a fiancee that wants your attention - you fall behind on tv shows.

He just needs to log into plex... He has access to my shared library.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 10, 2014, 10:50:02 PM

Muah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

The downside to having a fiancee that wants your attention - you fall behind on tv shows.

It is surprisingly hard to find media streamer boxes here, as internet is BAD and EXPENSIVE, noone really uses them. Also had a hard time finding a DP->HDMI adapter to at least use my laptop. I ordered some stuff online that'll hopefully find its way here. heh. wd-live-tv + hdmi cable + 500G hdd for pvr.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on November 10, 2014, 10:50:02 PM

Muah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

I was thinking more that she's taking up all his waking moments...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

I still have not yet seen part 2 of the finale... but at risk of seeing spoilers Iwanted to share this I found today reading more @ DWTV website, this sums up why it's def gonna be a regular hangout for me:

One of the comnents:
"This website is a bit of a safe haven for quality Doctor Who discussion." (and also Douglas Adams quotes! " The challenge of Doctor Who is to make it simple enough for adults and complicated enough for children" :) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 11, 2014, 03:43:35 AM
I ordered some stuff online that'll hopefully find its way here. heh. wd-live-tv + hdmi cable + 500G hdd for pvr.

the wd-live-tv doesn't do Native Plex, just DLNA... O well..

I was thinking you would watch on  your laptop.

Thorin

Honestly, I think I might re-watch series 8 over the next six weeks, before the Christmas special comes out.  See what things I missed on the first viewing.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 11, 2014, 03:14:40 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 11, 2014, 03:43:35 AM
I ordered some stuff online that'll hopefully find its way here. heh. wd-live-tv + hdmi cable + 500G hdd for pvr.

the wd-live-tv doesn't do Native Plex, just DLNA... O well..

I was thinking you would watch on  your laptop.
Crap, I was assuming it supported plex in some form. oh well. I can use my laptop, but I'll have to find a cable.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

RE: Spoilery conversation

This is why I would kind of like to see a return to the older multi-part serials because in order to get everything they wanted to in the last 2 episodes there was a lot of glossing over things that I know were contrivances for the sake of time but would have been really interesting.

I'd much rather trade some filler episodes for some more thought out serials

Then again Dr. Who has never billed itself as being remotely believable so "a wizard did it" is why certain things happen

One piece of seemingly throwaway dialogue was about "Captain Scarlet" likely this went over most North American fans (and probably UK kids' heads). I'm wondering why they'd name drop it they way they did, very strange... was it an homage to the voice actor for Captain Scarlet who passed away in June this year? Weird little pop culture things that pop up

Err, anyway the ending overall seemed rushed and you know The M will be back

also Santa

ho ho ho
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 11, 2014, 05:19:09 PM
Honestly, I think I might re-watch series 8 over the next six weeks, before the Christmas special comes out.  See what things I missed on the first viewing.

But the "aha/flashback montage" scene in part 2 summed up nicely all of the stuff to pay attention to / connect together for this series conclusion (i.e. focused on Missy). But then again it's Moffat so there's definitely other clues not included in that montage hidden throughout Series 8 that will eventually come into play in the Christmas special or beyond (like all of those post-it notes ... a few of them had wording that triggered plenty of speculation on DW forums)

Overall I had a great emotional EXPERIENCE of watching Death in Heaven, even though Logical Mind wanted to spoil the FUN during (he's starting to do that AFTER though... shut up, brain! enjoy the childlike wonder that IS the reason you watch DW!) Yes the "pollen" was a bit of a DEM but nothing as bad as some RTD "out of nowhere" stuff. But the plot moved along at a rapid pace with enough twists and laughs that I was certainly never bored. And I liked how Danny (and Kate's ... relative!) did ... stuff. Plenty of feels. (Osgood! NOOOO!)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 12, 2014, 09:15:07 AM
RE: Spoilery conversation

Err, anyway the ending overall seemed rushed and you know The M will be back

also Santa

ho ho ho

I would agree with you IF her demise came via the "gadget" that she had no problem falling in the hands of the Doctor and his buds (cuz when Osgood bit it I was thinking maybe it's a teleporter thingie like in Time Heist) -- however since Missy's demise came from ... a slightly different and unexpected direction. Well... methinks "she's dead, Jim". For reals.

PS: and hey you saw who is the actor playing Santa right? 8)

Darren Dirt

How 'Doctor Who' Responded To Fan Criticism And Rallied For Its (Second?) Best Season (aka "Season 8")
http://decider.com/2014/12/02/doctor-who-peter-capaldi/

Spoiler

"Having The Doctor's most potent enemy who's not encased in metal regenerate as a woman is an inspired response to complaints about casting another white man as a theoretically fluid cultural symbol. It's possible to see this as cynical, but really, it's cool to just introduce new wrinkles into the Doctor-Master relationship and see a formidable female Time Lord. Besides, even if the casting is just an attempt to draw complaints away from Capaldi (which wouldn't matter since Capaldi is an excellent Doctor), it doesn't matter -- Michelle Gomez is a winner in the role, and given that she's returning for next season, her Missy seems likely to become the revived series' first truly successful recurring villain."
[close]

So... there's that.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2014, 10:20:04 AM
Told ya she'd be back :)

Okay so you were right, yippee... So what, big deal, you want a hug* or something?

;)

Seriously surprised though, not because the actress or character were lacking (clearly not!) but because WHAT THE HELL CONTINUITY/LOGIC/PHYSICS, where did you go bro?

* http://www.redbubble.com/people/fottantuno/works/13048787-never-trust-a-hug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eufwf9V_rdg

Mr. Analog

I threw out continuity when the Daleks came back ... and the Cybermen ... and pretty much every other popular thing

It's sort of like DC comics "Crisis" which killed off a TON of characters to retcon their universe back in the 80s but since so many popular characters disappeared they eventually brought EVERYTHING back and had to do it again

So, I know there are a lot of mouth-breathers that get really bent out of shape over crap like this but they need to STFU because the series has been going so long and brings so much variety it's absolutely impossible to maintain any kind of continuity or in-universe reality

TBH when I first got wind of this mastermind I thought it may be a return of the Rani, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the return of such a great character
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Och, can you imagine if the Black Guardian / White Guardian multi-season storyline came back?  Or the Celestial Toymaker?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer