Top 5 Mobile Phones attached at Pwn2Own

Started by Melbosa, November 13, 2014, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I saw this earlier today, physical security is nee impossible, so take with grain of salt

It's like man, somebody can steal your car if they're sitting in it with the keys!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So... Is that security through obscurity?  Not enough people have a Windows phone, so not enough people are trying to hack it? :D
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 13, 2014, 02:45:05 PM
http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Holy Blap!  I didn't realize Android was so high, especially compared to iOS!  Mind you, my kids go to school with a lot of affluent kids, many of whom get the more expensive iPhones handed to them new every year, so maybe that's why I think I see so many iPhones around.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Remember there is a spectrum of Android OSs across a huge variety of devices, but yeah, it's big
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Android stats are strange... Android replaced nearly all of the feature phone market with low end smart phones.... Looking at browser usage stats for websites the number of ACTIVE iOS device tends to be higher than Android.. If you are using web-browsing as a metric to measure smartphone market and use.

Melbosa

While I can't say Windows Phone beats out iOS or Android much in marketplace, and I know I am not going to convinence anyone to switch, I can tell you this: IMO my Lumia 1020 is by far the fastest and most responsive phone out of all the iOS and Android phones I've used to date (and that includes a Nexus 4 & 5, iPhone 4/5/6, Samsung S4 & S5 and Blackberry Z10, Q10, Bold and Curve in recent years).  When you want an app, camera, or feature, it activates and launches in no time flat.  And the 41mp camera is a nice addition.

So for me its the right phone for me.  Pick yours for your needs.  I'm happy with mine and I hope you are happy with yours.

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 13, 2014, 12:43:39 PM
So... Is that security through obscurity?  Not enough people have a Windows phone, so not enough people are trying to hack it? :D
That's my guess. The market is so small, and I dobut MS provides much in bug bounties to make people interested.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on November 14, 2014, 12:02:12 AM
That's my guess. The market is so small, and I dobut MS provides much in bug bounties to make people interested.
I think the foot print might be growing though... I know Dell as a company has switched all employees to Windows Phones (at least North America wide), and TechEd sure did have a lot more people using them this year than last.  Now all M$ needs to do is buy BB from RIM and corner the Enterprise Secured market for phones! ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 14, 2014, 12:21:26 AM
Quote from: Tom on November 14, 2014, 12:02:12 AM
I think the foot print might be growing though... I know Dell as a company has switched all employees to Windows Phones (at least North America wide), and TechEd sure did have a lot more people using them this year than last.  Now all M$ needs to do is buy BB from RIM and corner the Enterprise Secured market for phones! ;)

From Q2 2013 to Q2 2014 Windows Phone OS shrank from 3.4% to 2.5%
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on November 14, 2014, 12:21:26 AM

imo this is the only way M$ knows how to do business -- get Big Names to adopt their product on a massive scale, usually having all of its employees forced to use it and not any competitor products, use marketing to promote the idea that M$ is the Leader or Game Changer or whatever in that product industry, convince the non-researching masses to do the easy/lazy thing and follow suit jumping on the M$ bandwagon, then stop evolving your products much but force consumers to buy a new version regularly even though there's no real reason. Until years later even the common folks recognize they've been had (and move on to a better and/or cheaper and/or more flexible alternative).

But hey, that has grown the company to a huge size in just a few decades, and as a result a bunch of people are getting malaria cures and whatnot so it's not all bad...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Apple tries the same tactics, except that instead of getting into big institutions where adults are forced to use their software like Microsoft does, Apple gets into all the primary education institutions and gets the kids hooked before they're even old enough to know how to research their options.

As for evolving their products, I'd say one of the main complaints about Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows 8 were how they completely changed the interface.  Isn't that the definition of software evolution?  A new version being completely different from an old version?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful