Why I have been feeling (relatively) anxious/angry lately

Started by Darren Dirt, March 26, 2015, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Advice from a coach: don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to your previous self.  Do you know more skills than yesterday?  Have you done something today that yesterday you didn't think you could?  Yes?  Then you're doing fine and need to just continue on living life.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 26, 2015, 01:02:10 PM
Advice from a coach: don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to your previous self.

Then in that case...

I RULE!

Mr. Analog

I've found posting artwork on the internet is a competitive venture, it pushes you and you will always feel like a second banana...

...until you find that you have become that which you looked up to yourself (an inspiration to others)

Then you find yourself in a strange place where you realize that yes, you do in fact have competency but you aren't yet what you want yourself to be but clearly not as bad as you thought and that a lot of work went into bringing you to where you are

When you get that you tend not to kick yourself as much

That said obsessive self-negativity is often a symptom of depression which can be treated.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2015, 02:03:45 PM
...until you find that you have become that which you looked up to yourself (an inspiration to others)

Then you find yourself in a strange place where you realize that yes, you do in fact have competency but you aren't yet what you want yourself to be but clearly not as bad as you thought and that a lot of work went into bringing you to where you are
^ me when it comes to both Poker and Coding (over the last 18 months or so, as I pushed myself and realized I am definitely no longer a "beginner" by any means)

BTW the thread title and OP was mostly a joke, because I found a funny SMBC comic and wanted to share it (because we all can relate to spending way too much time surfing and reading about all sorts of young people's exciting free-spirited lives etc.) but overall I'm quite non-anxious and non-angry (ever since maybe middle of last year, once I truly decided to grow a permanent spine and speak my mind and live my life in a way that I never really had before... damn the costs) ; thanks for the helpful and very positive tips though buds!

Thorin

Hmm, then maybe use an emoticon or something to indicate that what you typed is not actually what you meant...  Written text typically is considered serious unless indicated otherwise, since there's no body language to infer seriousness from.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Having to hire / interview people for IT positions has flipped my opinion of my own skills. However some days I wish I didn't feel like a genius when interviewing.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 26, 2015, 06:19:41 PM
Having to hire / interview people for IT positions has flipped my opinion of my own skills. However some days I wish I didn't feel like a genius when interviewing.

@%&# I know how you feel man

Like I didn't feel superior or anything I just felt... sad

On the plus side there's going to be a glut of devs on Monday
By Grabthar's Hammer