Fallout Shelter (mobile game)

Started by Mr. Analog, August 28, 2015, 09:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Good lord this game is addictive, we talked about it last week but this week I really got into it.

Deceptively simple, you have rooms which feed each other and people that have stats that boost the rooms, so you have to arrange the rooms and the people and plan for growth and deal with random events while also trying to push objectives

Simple + Fun

AND FREEEEEEEE
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 28, 2015, 09:53:48 AM

AND FREEEEEEEE

Free as in speech? Free as in beer?

Because clearly not free as in time ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 28, 2015, 11:00:39 AM

AND FREEEEEEEE

Sorry I didn't realize I had to bill hours against all my hobbies

Hold on, just updating my YouTube timesheet, man so productive, watched 85 minutes already
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 28, 2015, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 28, 2015, 11:00:39 AM

AND FREEEEEEEE

Sorry I didn't realize I had to bill hours against all my hobbies

Hold on, just updating my YouTube timesheet, man so productive, watched 85 minutes already

LOL hello Kettle, my name is Pot  ;D

Thorin

Do I charge overtime for camping, then?

So for this game, do you need to know any of the Fallout lore?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 28, 2015, 11:21:29 AM
Do I charge overtime for camping, then?

So for this game, do you need to know any of the Fallout lore?

Hahaha YES lol

None at all, it's very accessible, instead of vault dwellers they could have been ants, instead of a bunker complex an anthill

BUT having the flavour is very nice for a Fallout fan, even the way the artists depict things when they go bad is like right out of an abandoned vault from the games.

Classic
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

And Internet Connection - while it will use it, it is NOT required.  So you could be playing this camping without your phone's data plan right now!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

this is why I refuse to download this or pretty much any other mobile game...

Although it seems every 6 months or so I end up in the Google Play Store and grab a dozen or so free twitch/strategy/puzzle games and play all of them until the difficulty level kicks in and/or the free-trial-levels are completed then I am left... feeling... twitchy, tbh. Like recently I heard that the "5 Nights At Freddy's" author had developed a bunch of other games. http://freddy-fazbears-pizza.wikia.com/wiki/Scott_Cawthon

So I checked one of them out -- called "Rage Quit"; I was about to play it but noticed that it's apparently a "difficulty-reduced" kinda-sequel of an earlier game called "There Is No Pause Button" so I tried THAT out first.

HOLY @%&# i thought Super Meat Boy got mega-difficult mega-quickly. @%&#ing insanely hard level design. BUT although I swore out loud more than virtually any other game I have ever played, I also LAUGHED OUT LOUD too -- for the same reasons (my own death and then IMMEDIATELY restart of the level). BUT, like the "Game Theory" episode I linked above pointed out, BEATING one of those levels was INCREDIBLY satisfying, mega DOPAMINE hit! Next level please... Argh, it's past 2am and I gotta work tomorrow, @%&# I did it again...  :P

Every 6 months or so.  ::)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 02, 2015, 02:48:08 PM
this is why I refuse to download this or pretty much any other mobile game...

Although it seems every 6 months or so I end up in the Google Play Store and grab a dozen or so free twitch/strategy/puzzle games and play all of them until the difficulty level kicks in and/or the free-trial-levels are completed then I am left... feeling... twitchy,

One of the above statements is clearly false :P

Anyway, there's two reasons to play games
1. Fun
2. Time sink

Fallout Shelter surprised me in that at any time I can put it down and I don't feel the need to buy stuff for it (outside of the one-time special). Which is more than I can say about a lot of games
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 02, 2015, 03:45:25 PM

Fallout Shelter surprised me in that at any time I can put it down and I don't feel the need to buy stuff for it (outside of the one-time special). Which is more than I can say about a lot of games

I am definitely grateful that at least my occasional super-fun but super-brief addiction-binge timesink that I pay for the next day is truly FREE (other than sleep ;) ) and not "Freemium" free  :)

Melbosa

I've never spent money on fallout shelter and have a healthy productive shelter of 155 people and am close to completing all achievements.

Mr. Analog

It's such an enjoyable game. I bought some Mr. Handys when they had that sale on

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's also one of those games that uses a lot of timers, so you basically can't just keep playing it all you want. After a little while, you have to put it down or you'll just be staring at a screen doing literally nothing for quite a while. 
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on October 02, 2015, 09:38:55 PM
It's also one of those games that uses a lot of timers, so you basically can't just keep playing it all you want. After a little while, you have to put it down or you'll just be staring at a screen doing literally nothing for quite a while. 
Not when your vault gets to be my size.  Always something to click on if you don't have many Mr. Handy

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on October 03, 2015, 01:33:01 AM
Quote from: Tom on October 02, 2015, 09:38:55 PM
Not when your vault gets to be my size.  Always something to click on if you don't have many Mr. Handy
I suppose. But it gets tedious when all you're doing is clicking on rooms to get their timer to reset.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!