Begun, the Steam Winter Sale, has

Started by Mr. Analog, December 22, 2015, 02:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Wouldn't it suck if Fallout 4 was on sale?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 22, 2015, 02:40:03 PM
Wouldn't it suck if Fallout 4 was on sale?

Honestly I don't mind paying full price for such a great game, even as a gift

I just bought The Witcher III, which is on sale for 50% off and is about the same caliber of game from what I understand

HNNG

I also bought a Steam Link today which comes with free keys for L4D2 and CS: Go

(if anybody here doesn't have either and wants one speak up now or forever hold your peas)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think they do price matching if you bought within a week or two of a sale?

Ohh, steamlink! thats cool. I've thought about that. Have it stream from my desktop as it has much more cpu power (same GPU though, ahaha. GT640).
But then my media box can just do steam to steam streaming too.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 22, 2015, 02:48:01 PM
I'll try it out and give it a review

I've been on facebook too much. I wanted to hit the thumbs up button on that post.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 22, 2015, 02:50:53 PM

I've been on facebook too much. I wanted to hit the thumbs up button on that post.

On TapaTalk you can thumbs up posts
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 22, 2015, 02:52:41 PM

It takes way too long for tapatalk updates to get to me :( How do those look? It doesn't seem to be a forum feature.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 22, 2015, 02:54:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 22, 2015, 02:52:41 PM

It takes way too long for tapatalk updates to get to me :( How do those look? It doesn't seem to be a forum feature.

It's just a thumbs up symbol, I think it works with Tapatalks metadata about which threads / posts to promote
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I just gave Witcher 3 a spin man... very disappointing

The game looks amazing, it really does, and the story so far is a bit discombobulated but I haven't played or experienced any of the predecessors so I can't really speak to that, but so far it's interesting-ish

The killer though is the control scheme, it's not just bad it's SO BAD. I have to guess that this is meant to be played with a controller otherwise yikes

COMBAT TUTORIAL:
Basic quick attack: Left mouse (ok)
Strong Attack: Hold left Shift + Left mouse (wat)
Dodge: Hold left Alt + WASD (wh-y)
Roll: Hold space + WASD (god)
Parry: Hold right mouse (ok)
Counterattack: Tap right mouse (but not from parry --- why?)

Magic:
Pause the game, select the not-obviously-named/nor-friendly-icon in any way and then unpause the game and press Q (note to devs: plz look at [any] Bioshock ... or even Dishonored on how to do this in real time, hell even GTAV's weapon wheel would have been better FFS)

Horse:
Find horse? Where horse??
Mount horse: E (I found the horse)
TUTORIAL TO CALL THE HORSE PRESS X (thanks mother@%&#er)
Move slow: WASD
Move slightly less slow: HOLD SHIFT + WASD
Move fast: DOUBLE-TAP SHIFT AND HOLD + WASD
Automatically travel a road: HOLLLLLLLLD SHIIIIIIIFT but DON'T press a direction
Automatically run over a villager possibly triggering hostile action (see above)

This game came highly recommended but ... I dunno, I'm going to have to restart with a controller and see because otherwise yikes

Also the menus look like they dropped out of 2004, but not in a good way. Give me an inventory with a list for gods sake, is it a chicken wing or a lamb shank? (mouse over... oh its neither)

AUGH

IN conclusion: I have played pretty games with questionably good stories and @%&#ty controls in the past (cough Mirror's Edge) but this... I don't know why they made it so awkward??

A+ graphics
A story
B sound
F controls

...at least I'm not alone, I thought maybe my hands were on backwards or there was some magic fix-it patch so I went a-googlin' and found that there were a lot of other equally puzzled gamers / reviewers.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

And it was hugely profitable for Valve:

QuoteAccording to a detailed look at Steam Spy, a service that estimates data and statistics about Steam based on game ownership, this sale resulted in about $270 million in revenue across 46 million sale
(source)

No wonder they don't make games anymore...
By Grabthar's Hammer