Started by Darren Dirt, June 22, 2005, 11:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story!"

See June 20th Fox announcement mentioned here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385690/board/nest/18921120

Fox Preps 'Family Guy' Movie for DVD Bow
By Thomas K. Arnold, Reuters

LOS ANGELES (June 20) - "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane is preparing his long-awaited direct-to-DVD movie based on the exploits of his cartoon clan for a Sept. 27 release.

"It's been an enormous undertaking to juggle this with doing 35 new episodes of the show, but we think it turned out great," MacFarlane said of the film, his first full-length feature, and the first direct-to-video ever made off a television franchise.

The 83-minute, unrated "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story" ($29.98) is based on the animated series MacFarlane created for Fox Television in the late 1990s. The irreverent series, aimed at adults rather than kids, went on the air in early 1999 and was canceled in 2003, only to be resurrected last month after an overwhelming demand for the show on DVD.

The first DVD set sold more than 2.5 million units, the second-highest sales tally of any TV-DVD release behind the first season of "Chappelle's Show," and two subsequent packages lifted the "Family Guy" franchise's total sales to about 4.5 million units.

That prompted Fox to take the unprecedented step of bringing back the show. The new season debuted in May and has since featured a bevy of guest voices, including Drew Barrymore, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Tilly and Adam West.

"Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin" is something of a thank you to the show's fans who bought so many DVDs, MacFarlane said. "Fox had such a great amount of success with the previous DVD releases that I think they felt there was a built-in, surefire market for a 'Family Guy' DVD," he said. "It's also a lot easier to put out a DVD release than it is a theatrical film while you're doing a television series."

The movie finds Stewie, the maniacal baby genius, having a near-death experience that prompts him to change his ways. Instead of seeking to dominate the world, he sets out on a road trip to find his real father.

Guest vocal talent includes Barrymore and Ron Livingston, as well as three cast members of "Beverly Hills, 90210" -- Jason Priestley, Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling -- "in a special gag," MacFarlane said.

The DVD will include several special features, including deleted scenes, still galleries, animatics and a commentary from MacFarlane.

"We also sandwiched special features around the movie," he said. "It begins with an animated movie premiere, with the family arriving to watch it, and then there's an after-party at the end."

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is planning the biggest marketing campaign ever for a TV-spawned release, according to division worldwide president Mike Dunn. Plans include national print and TV advertising as well as a viral marketing campaign targeting college students at bars, clubs and fraternity parties; special screenings will be held for college students.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

06/20/05 12:38 ET

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I gotta go with "boo" on this movie.  Family Guy is making its way down gutter lane, and an 80 minute show at $20 seems sorta rude (i will probably fire up bittorrent though [or maybe Microsoft Avalanche?]).

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"I gotta go with "boo" on this movie.  Family Guy is making its way down gutter lane, and an 80 minute show at $20 seems sorta rude (i will probably fire up bittorrent though [or maybe Microsoft Avalanche?]).
Me don't like the price either - might rent it - but are you referring to the Peter-is-a-retard episode when you say "down gutter lane"? I haven't seen it yet, but it is definitely a low point in certain fans' books - see this flame war.

I think I only saw the first 2 or 3 eps of the new season, and although I throughly ROFLOL enjoyed them, I've just been too busy to watch any others :P

PS: Wutz M$ "Avalanche"?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"PS: Wutz M$ "Avalanche"?
It's Microsoft's feeble attempt to horn in on all the P2P action, Avalanche. Basically they're going to make a bigger better BitTorrent. It's been in R&D for a long time now, but they are getting close (which would explain the latest round of slag issuing forth lately).

Step 1. Start work on proprietary P2P technology
Step 2. Claim that only legal and virus or spyware free content is to be served
Step 3. Discredit existing popular P2P tech
Step 4. Gain market dominance somehow
Step 5. ??? (Profit???)

Who would want a P2P client that only contains "legal" content anyway?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

While it might start off legal and such, you know how the internet works :)

Darren Dirt

Family Guy Presents 'Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story'

Looks like 27September is the official release date! (of course, it doesn't stop pirates from already watching it "4 times" as one of these reviewers stupidly admits...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A3DFV8/

Shayne

Tonnica

Quote from: "Shayne"Has anyone not seen it?

I haven't seen it yet. Only because I wanted to see FF VII: Advent Children first. :P