Vista Impressions from Me

Started by Melbosa, September 23, 2005, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Well I didn't want to bring back an old thread on this, but I can tell you one thing that I found so far on this:

If you thought M$ stole a lot of Mac OS stuff for WXP, wait until you try Vista.  Wow I can't get over OSX this OSX that that has crept its way into WV.

Virutal Folders are kewl.  Played with those a bit so far.  And I like the new XML Event Viewer.

IE 7 has stolen a few features from FireFox I think or earlier builds of Mozilla Browsers.  Again very OSX like.  I'm told you can get IE 7 for XP atm, but not interested until M$ releases it for general distribution.

We installed on a laptop at work, and I'm checking it out through RDP, so I might be missing some features.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Just got my MSDN updates my self and was thinking of setting up a test system. I assume none of the 3D or transparnacy are offered over RDP.

Melbosa

Because I have no frame of reference, I don't know what does and doesn't work over RDP, cept the games don't work :P

Shayne

Keep in mind that many of the features that are in OSX and now in Vista were announced by Microsoft, and stolen by Apple.  Thats what happens when you have a 4-5 year release cycle vs. 1 year.

Melbosa

That and M$ has controlling interest in Apple, so have the ability to take and give what they will.

Shayne

Just because they are a shareholder doesnt mean they have access to source.  Microsoft also doesnt have a controlling interest.

Microsoft invest $150M into apple in the form of "non-voting shares" at a time when Apple had over $1B in the liquid cash, not including the actual value of the company.  I think in the area of 2% company value?

Melbosa

Thought Billy did... oh well my bad.