Main Menu

Pressure is on...

Started by Melbosa, October 11, 2005, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Well its getting close to that time for a site revamp.  For everyone who was going to provide content, lets get our rears-in-gear so to speak.  Construction site up and waiting :P

I have some ideas of what I am going to do with the main site once we get a new layout and look.  Wee I can't wait to see what you guys have been working on.

http://www.righteouswrath.com <-- Remember to refresh the page if you still see the old site.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I want a simple layout controlled entirely by CSS (with maybe an optional "set your own CSS for the site" option). If you want us to provide content give us a "blog" style interface for doing so, I would love to write articles if it's easy to update / edit / review.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Incedentally, the site should pass W3C HTML and CSS validation, like this site. IE be damned!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I want a simple layout controlled entirely by CSS (with maybe an optional "set your own CSS for the site" option). If you want us to provide content give us a "blog" style interface for doing so, I would love to write articles if it's easy to update / edit / review.

Nice suggestions.  I try and adhere to HTML/CSS standards on all websites I design and build (for all browsers).  And my ideas for dynamic content were somewhere around the blog concept, except was going to use the forums to do so.  Was thinking an article section with User Group subscription, and then Moderated post system (which I think this forum software can do - you post, we approve, and becomes a locked post) and then it would show up in the Article section of the main website.

As for multiple CSS, will have to wait and see.  Will start with one, similar to the default skin of the forums (but not exactly as we want to give the author his credit and copy rights).  Perhaps colors similar, and nice simple design.  Shae is working on something for me, so we will see what she comes up with :D.

Shayne

we have a front page?!?!?!!?!!?!?!  *wow*

Umm, since we have a front page, i suggest it be super heavy on keywords and linking to stuff throughout the forum.

Screw HTML/CSS, do it all in XML and XSLT.

Melbosa

Quote from: "Shayne"Screw HTML/CSS, do it all in XML and XSLT.

Sorry my knowledge of the above is limited and since I have to support the site and maintain it, I can't go this route yet.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Ok, XHTML and CSS!

XHTML is still new to me as well, so I have to stick to what I know for now.

Mr. Analog

It's just well formed HTML, you can run it through the validator at W3C if you have the right encoding set.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

uses things like /> on image tags though right?

Thorin

In XHTML you must conform to XML standards.  For XHTML, this basically means the following

- XHTML elements must be properly nested

- XHTML documents must be well-formed

- Tag names must be in lowercase

- All XHTML elements must be closed

- Attribute names must be in lower case

- Attribute values must be quoted

- Attribute minimization is forbidden

- The id attribute replaces the name attribute

- The XHTML DTD defines mandatory elements

I've found w3schools' site to be an excellent introduction.  Give it a read, you'll know the basics (enough to be able to make an average site) in 15 minutes or so.[/list]
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Even the lowly break looks like this:

<br />
As it should ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Dreamweaver can be set to use XHTML.

Melbosa

hehe don't use Dreamweaver.

Shayne

Quote from: "Melbosa"hehe don't use Dreamweaver.

Pounding a nail in with a screwdriver makes no sence.  Right tool for the right job.