Xbox 360 had best launch games?

Started by Shayne, December 14, 2006, 01:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

As people who read this forum know I am going to break down and score a Wii sometime before Xmas.  Now the quest is to find games that I might want to buy(play) for this new console.  I turned to everyones favorite review aggregator GameRankings.com to see what I might find.

Upon checking out the top reviewed Wii games the numbers seemed rather low with the exception of course being Zelda.  Out of curiosity I compared the PS3 and Xbox 360 to the Wii and believe it or not the Xbox 360 scored the highest.  I took only the top 10 games that had 10 or more reviews.

Xbox 360
Highest Reviewed: Call of Duty 2 (90.1%)
Lowest Reviewed: NBA 2K6 (80.3%)
Average Rating: 84.3%
Median Rating: 83.0% (-1.3%)

Playstation 3
Highest Reviewed: Resistance: Fall of Man (89.3%)
Lowest Reviewed: Tony Hawk's Project 8 (78.0%)
Average Rating: 82.0%
Median Rating: 81.8% (-0.2%)

Wii
Highest Reviewed: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (95.4%)
Lowest Reviewed: Call of Duty 3 (73.0%)
Average Rating: 79.9%
Median Rating: 78.7% (-1.2%)

To be fair when I did the Xbox 360 check I set the "Select a Date Range" to "2005 Releases" as this would cover only the 360 initial launch games (plus a couple others (just like Nintendo and Sony).  I was overall surprised by the PS3 games as I had not realized it was doing that well in terms of critical evaluation of its titles.  The Wii has the highest rated game in the top 10, but it also has the lowest rated game.

For comparisons sake of how things have gone for 2006 as companies have started to figure out the console here is the 360s 2006 releases.

Xbox 360
Highest Reviewed: Gears of War (94.3%)
Lowest Reviewed: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (84.8%)
Average Rating: 88.4%
Median Rating: 87.1% (-1.3%)

My fianc? and I have since decided that we will not be buying any games for the Wii as we expect to use it more in "social situations" then on our free time.  For the time being we are going to simply rent games from Blockbuster/Rogers.  (even though I really do want Madden (i own it on the online enabled 360) does anyone know if I can roster update and such for the Wii?)  Seems right now from watching ever video review I could find for the Wii games that its all about the controls right now, its only a matter of time before more companies look at what Zelda did in terms of matching up controls with game play and come up with a complete solution.

Lazybones

The PS3 ratings isn't surprising since nearly all of the launch titles save maybe 3 are ports also available on xbo360.

Shayne

Actually 1.5, Resistance and Ridge Racer 7 are exclusive to the PS3 but RR7 im only giving this a .5 as most of the tracks and such are right out of RR6 with no variations

Mr. Analog

Renting first is usually better than trusting someone else's opinion.
By Grabthar's Hammer