Where have all the posters gone?

Started by Melbosa, February 14, 2008, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So two of our members go on vacation and you guys quite posting???? :P  Where is everyone?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Bixby

Melbosa

Working....?  Lazy, by name definition you couldn't possibly be working that hard!

Melbosa

Bixby

Quote from: Melbosa on February 14, 2008, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: Bixby on February 14, 2008, 10:47:35 AM
Not much to say. Life is good.
Trade ya!
Seriously. I almost feel guilty things are so good. Work is fine, no more extended hours, everyone is healthy. I am playing about 5 board games a week, I get to play Poker at least once a week, and last Friday I caught a natural Royal Flush to win the tournament. Some days you're the seal, some days you're the club. I guess it is my time to be the club. :D

CowGirl

I'm dealing with a house full of sickies.  And looks like I be coming down with the a nasty cold now too. :(
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Melbosa

Well at least there is some life in these boards yet!

CowGirl

Now I am playing on the new puter my darling hubby got me for V-day!
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Thorin

Sorry, been busy setting up my two computers.  Dell had everything installed, but not the way I'd install it (why would you run XP with PAE in a system with only 2GB of RAM?!).  I ended up wiping both machines and re-installing the base software that came with it, then installing all the other software we wanted on there (Firefox, Google Desktop, WinRAR, Windows Live Messenger, GoogleTalk, iTunes, Windows Media Player 10, etc), then setting all six-per-machine-times-two-machines of the user accounts up with all of their usernames and passwords remembered for those apps.  I'm *almost* done.

Once I'm done the settings I can actually move the physical machines around to where they're going to sit...  And then I'll be all done!  Well, except for copying music and pictures from the old drive to the new machines.  But that's mostly automated.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quotewhy would you run XP with PAE in a system with only 2GB of RAM?!)
Don't you get stuck with only 800 or so MB of usuable ram when pae is disabled?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Didn't we have a whole large discussion about that?  Although we never did figure out just how much of the RAM was reserved for critical kernel files, it was made quite clear that PAE is used to address physical memory (RAM) above the 4GB barrier.  If there's only 2GB of physical memory in the machine, then there's no point in enabling PAE (because there's no RAM above 4GB to address).  And PAE does itself consume memory in the kernel's virtual address space, as the physical memory needs to get mapped.

More to the point, if the kernel is only reserving 100MB of physical memory, then 1.9GB of that 2GB of RAM in the machine is usable by the programs running.  Conversely, if the kernel is reserving 1.9GB for itself, than the programs running only have 100MB of physical memory (and there'll be *huge* swapping going on).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I'm just remembering how the linux kernel will only see 800 or so MB of actual physical memory if you don't have all of the BIGMEM and possibly PAE options enabled. It doesnt actually reserve the mem, it just doesn't see it or use it, so it can use the space for other things in the 1GB range.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Thorin on February 14, 2008, 09:56:50 PM
why would you run XP with PAE in a system with only 2GB of RAM?

Quote from: Tom on February 15, 2008, 02:02:28 AM
I'm just remembering how the linux kernel will only see 800 or so MB of actual physical memory if you don't have all of the BIGMEM and possibly PAE options enabled.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Linux.  To be clear, the term "PAE" is used for both the physical capability of a processor to address physical memory above 4GB and support for that physical capability within the operating system.  The processor I have is PAE-capable.  But there's no point to making my OS (WinXP) use the processor's PAE capability because there's no actual physical memory greater than 4GB on the board.  I'd wager that the same holds true for Linux and PAE capability.  I have no idea what the BIGMEM option does for you, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 15, 2008, 03:06:46 PM
Quote from: Thorin on February 14, 2008, 09:56:50 PM
why would you run XP with PAE in a system with only 2GB of RAM?

Quote from: Tom on February 15, 2008, 02:02:28 AM
I'm just remembering how the linux kernel will only see 800 or so MB of actual physical memory if you don't have all of the BIGMEM and possibly PAE options enabled.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Linux.  To be clear, the term "PAE" is used for both the physical capability of a processor to address physical memory above 4GB and support for that physical capability within the operating system.  The processor I have is PAE-capable.  But there's no point to making my OS (WinXP) use the processor's PAE capability because there's no actual physical memory greater than 4GB on the board.  I'd wager that the same holds true for Linux and PAE capability.  I have no idea what the BIGMEM option does for you, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Windowing_Extensions ?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.