One idea on how to get more patrons to the movies

Started by Thorin, March 15, 2008, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

This guy is suggesting offering extras to people who go see movies in the movie theater.  Specifically, he suggests giving away the soundtrack to the movie to anyone with a ticket stub.  He makes some excellent points, and some of the comments are pretty well-reasoned, as well.

http://techdirt.com/article.php?sid=20080201/130003149&threaded=true
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I want to know what happened to intermissions...

If the theater doesn't make money on the ticket but does on the concession, isn't it in their best interest for you to have a chance to empty your bladder and top up on snacks on the way back?

Any movie over 2.5 hours should have an intermission if you ask me.

Mr. Analog

There are a few things that suck about going to the theatre that were solved in the past, theatre owners have just stopped caring about the people that go.

Think about it, they don't have intermissions or reserve seating because it costs them time, time they would rather fill by cramming an extra movie a day into.

I have extra incentive not to go to movies (no wheels) but the whole movie experience has turned into either "fast food" style get in / get out treatment by theatres or vastly overpriced multiplexes that have a movie theatre buried inside them somewhere.

If I ran a theatre I'd hire MEN and WOMEN instead of BOYS and GIRLS. I would ensure there was a qualified projectionist on hand (instead of one trained "technician"). I'd have premium balcony seating. I'd have an adult lounge as well as a snack bar, and I'd discourage minors after 8 PM.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on March 16, 2008, 03:52:30 AM

[..]

Hah, my kids go to the bathroom twice in a 90 minute movie...  Unfortunately not at the same time, so I'm out of the theatre three or four times, sometimes.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 16, 2008, 07:49:52 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on March 16, 2008, 03:52:30 AM

[..]

Hah, my kids go to the bathroom twice in a 90 minute movie...  Unfortunately not at the same time, so I'm out of the theatre three or four times, sometimes.

I pity you man, I have a good bladder but sometimes I have to duck out (like most people) it's really annoying when you miss something good.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2008, 04:43:33 PM
I would ensure there was a qualified projectionist on hand (instead of one trained "technician"). I'd have premium balcony seating. I'd have an adult lounge as well as a snack bar, and I'd discourage minors after 8 PM.

Garneau is still operating, and showing first-run (often award-winning) filums. Support your local... and all that. Also, Pharos Pizza & Spaghetti House just outside the theatre is awesome eats, IIRC (been a decade or so since I bought a ticket at the ol' G).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 17, 2008, 04:38:45 PM
I would ensure there was a qualified projectionist on hand (instead of one trained "technician"). I'd have premium balcony seating. I'd have an adult lounge as well as a snack bar, and I'd discourage minors after 8 PM.

Garneau is still operating, and showing first-run (often award-winning) filums. Support your local... and all that. Also, Pharos Pizza & Spaghetti House just outside the theatre is awesome eats, IIRC (been a decade or so since I bought a ticket at the ol' G).

You busy Thursday night?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 17, 2008, 06:45:30 PM

You busy Thursday night?

Garneau:

Juno  (14A)  Thu:  7:00 9:00

If the 9pm show is not too late for you (and whoever else might be interested) I would be open to seeing it. (I'm doing something after work for an hour with my brother).

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 20, 2008, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 17, 2008, 06:45:30 PM

You busy Thursday night?

Garneau:

Juno  (14A)  Thu:  7:00 9:00

If the 9pm show is not too late for you (and whoever else might be interested) I would be open to seeing it. (I'm doing something after work for an hour with my brother).

If you guys didn't make it, Id be interested in joining you guys for a movie. as long as its a decent movie :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

I was still at work at 6:30 and nothing new on the thread, so I presumed the plans fell through... I watched 5 episodes of The Sarah Silverman Program at my brothers, then went home and almost immediately crashed.

Maybe next week -- I took all 5 days off, some of the time I'll have my kids but also I'll have a bit of "alone" time too (for my sanity ;) )