Got an hour to kill?

Started by Darren Dirt, July 20, 2008, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

30 minutes of 80's cartoon Openings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bto7l3cKhvk

ah, the fondest of 10fps recycled-storylines memories...

90's too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcKGcKW76M

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

How could you. Now I will have those stuck in my head for days.

Tom

"Heeeyyy, Excuuuuuuseeee meeeeee Princess"

;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 20, 2008, 10:30:24 PM

;D

ROFL

You know what's sick? The fact that there weren't any that I didn't konw... :o
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 21, 2008, 07:57:11 AM

;D

ROFL

There were quite a few I didn't know.. Heck, I didn't even know of the super man cartoon in the 90s video let alone some of the more obscure ones.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 21, 2008, 07:22:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 21, 2008, 07:57:11 AM

;D

ROFL

There were quite a few I didn't know.. Heck, I didn't even know of the super man cartoon in the 90s video let alone some of the more obscure ones.

Superman came from Warner Brothers as an attempt to keep the tradition of Bruce Timm inspired DC properties, unfortunately for him and DC Supes WB treatment never caught on the same way Batman had. It was set in a future version of Metropolis and the show's setting was not quite the same calibre as Batman in both production values and writing (IMHO). But it did lay the groundwork for Justice League, which got a lot of people interested in comics again and opened the door for even more great animation from WB.

I find it interesting that at the time when Disney 2D animation studios were shutting their doors in North America, WB was experimenting with a variety of technologies and creating a lot of content for Cartoon Network after the '96 acquisition of Turner Broadcasting by Time Warner. Then in the early 2000s they came out with a lot of great series almost simultaneously and had enough quality programming in the pipe to keep up the steam for a long time.

Because WB created a lot of interesting content around 1999/2000 other big animation studios started producing new programming (even Disney) or picked up the rights for syndication for foreign programming (I'm surprised that a lot of Canadian produced stuff is so popular out in the world) there is surprising abundance of decently produced and well written animated series on these days. Unfortunately many of them seem to be finishing their runs (like Avatar, which just finished up last week in the States).

Anyway, animation geek hat off...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I stopped watching much tv around 1998 or so. :( So I'm sure I missed out. And I stopped watching a lot of cartoons prior to that thinking I was too old or some such nonsense (but there was a lot of crappy cartoons at the time, and my favourites disappeared after the disney afternoon got shuffled around a few times)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 21, 2008, 07:46:14 PM
I stopped watching much tv around 1998 or so. :( So I'm sure I missed out. And I stopped watching a lot of cartoons prior to that thinking I was too old or some such nonsense (but there was a lot of crappy cartoons at the time, and my favourites disappeared after the disney afternoon got shuffled around a few times)

Dropping the Disney Afternoon in lieu of moving all content to the Family Channel was a big mistake by Disney IMHO, heck shutting down their 2D doors because they thought animation was dead was a HUGE mistake that they haven't recovered from (tons of talented key animators, tweeners and colourists flocked to other studios or made their way to the Philippines or South Korea to continue working on projects). And now you know why Disney animation for TV is almost all done in vectors ::)

There is such a vast variety of programming these days it's amazing. I mean the likes of Avatar and Justice League are watchable and enjoyable by people of all ages because they tell interesting stories in fantastic backdrops and don't try to "dumb it down" (and yet, it still all remains accessable).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm going to have to try and start watching some new stuff as they come out. I hate starting in the middle and being confused for ages ::)

You wouldn't happen to know if theres anything interesting coming up would you?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 21, 2008, 08:41:09 PM
I'm going to have to try and start watching some new stuff as they come out. I hate starting in the middle and being confused for ages ::)

I could lend you the first two seasons of Avatar if you're interested. That's probably the best of the bunch these days.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 22, 2008, 09:17:02 AM

I could lend you the first two seasons of Avatar if you're interested. That's probably the best of the bunch these days.
That'd be cool :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 22, 2008, 08:34:22 PM

Okie dokie, well, I'm planning to go see the Dark Knight at some point maybe we could hook up then?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 23, 2008, 08:58:48 AM

Okie dokie, well, I'm planning to go see the Dark Knight at some point maybe we could hook up then?
Sounds good, and if it doesn't happen before fraga, we could do it then :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2008, 08:04:08 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 23, 2008, 08:58:48 AM

Sounds good, and if it doesn't happen before fraga, we could do it then :)

For sure!
By Grabthar's Hammer