reading vs. GAMING, which is better for dev of kids' brains?

Started by Darren Dirt, July 29, 2008, 03:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Reading is much less passive than something like television (it challenges the reader's imagination to interact with the content).

Video games provide the content, but provide challenges that work on the problem solving part of your brain.

I think both books and video games are both better than TV but which of those two is better is something much more difficult to gauge.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2008, 09:16:07 AM
Reading is much less passive than something like television

rofl, spoken like a guy who also watched that awesome video talk the other day ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 29, 2008, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2008, 09:16:07 AM
Reading is much less passive than something like television

rofl, spoken like a guy who also watched that awesome video talk the other day ;D

While I did watch the video, I already knew that television is very passive. It doesn't make you do anything. While I was ill I ended up watching a bunch of DVDs and, while I had a good time, I was groggy and lethargic and uninterested in starting any project work at home (and I have lots to do!).

I did two pieces of line art last night and my brain is now bubbling with ideas, and not just about colouring said art but how to set up for Fraga, how to move my desk stuff at work, setting up some recording stuff at home for a video tutorial, researching (ironically) a new TV, etc. I actually had a hard time getting to sleep I was so energized again.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2008, 10:07:31 AM
television is very passive. It doesn't make you do anything.

[sarcasm]
I only mostly agree, however I have seen with my own two eyes that my girls watching a Pokemon video multiple times makes them run around the house saying "Mudkip" or "Turtwig" nonstop. ;)
[/sarcasm]

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 29, 2008, 01:27:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2008, 10:07:31 AM
television is very passive. It doesn't make you do anything.

[sarcasm]
I only mostly agree, however I have seen with my own two eyes that my girls watching a Pokemon video multiple times makes them run around the house saying "Mudkip" or "Turtwig" nonstop. ;)
[/sarcasm]

Well, all TV watching could make you lose weight if it was chasing you around with a chainsaw...
By Grabthar's Hammer