KDE SC 4.4 Release "Party"

Started by Tom, January 28, 2010, 09:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Yeah, I'm aware of how ironic it is to have a KDE release party after the Windows 7 Parties did so well ;)

But I thought it might be fun to hold a Demonstration of the new stuff in KDE 4.4 for anyone who is interested. The date isn't quite fixed yet, but it'll likely be on or around the 9th of February (release of KDE 4.4).

I'm not sure many here are all that interested, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I'll even include some KDE on Windows action for those people that aren't particularly interested in linux.

So please, let me know if you're interested, and if you can make it. If theres enough interest from people, I can probably book the presentation area at the new ENTs "hacker space" place. They have a projector and enough tables and chairs (some of them actual livingroom type chairs) for a bunch of people to sit at.

Oh and I'll probably be a horrible presenter. But I'll try my best.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Who is this "Tom", and what happened to the shy guy we all know!  OMG bud, that's fantastic!

I'll be updating my KDE at work, so a prez won't do me much good.  I do though encourage everyone to go if you haven't seen a linux GUI desktop in action.  You'd be surprised as to how far it has come over the years.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 28, 2010, 01:11:45 PM
Who is this "Tom", and what happened to the shy guy we all know!  OMG bud, that's fantastic!
I get bored, and frustrated that the opensource scene here in edmonton is rather dead.

I'll be updating my KDE at work, so a prez won't do me much good.  I do though encourage everyone to go if you haven't seen a linux GUI desktop in action.  You'd be surprised as to how far it has come over the years.
It's not just Linux anymore :) even plasma will run on windows if you try hard enough. But For those not interested in linux or plasma, I intend to show off various things from koffice to amarok. All of which run on windows these days. I won't be stuck with mostly unfamiliar software when I'm forced to use windows anymore!

Melbosa, I'm not sure you know about all the nicer bits though ;) Might do some good to check out the presentation anyhow. the more the merrier.

Melbosa

Well set it up, I'll be tentative though.  My side business and other activities (including my rehab from surgery), sometimes my schedule it quite hectic!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 28, 2010, 01:45:01 PM
Well set it up, I'll be tentative though.  My side business and other activities (including my rehab from surgery), sometimes my schedule it quite hectic!
I've noticed ;)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 28, 2010, 08:10:36 PM
I'd go, but I'll be in Canmore
Heh, I know a guy who lives in Canmore, his name is Trent, not Mike unfortunately.

Tom

Ok, so I've got the place and time all setup:

Tuesday Feb 9th
The Edmonton New Technology Society
10575-114th street
Main event starts 7pm
I'll probably be there at 6-6:30 to setup and whatnot.

Darren Dirt

Who is this "Tom", and what happened to the shy guy we all know!  OMG bud, that's fantastic!

rofl, the new and improved "Tom v2010.0" apparently invites upon himself non-safe social situations... intentionally, by choice! WOW!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 05, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

rofl, the new and improved "Tom v2010.0" apparently invites upon himself non-safe social situations... intentionally, by choice! WOW!
No, I'm thoroughly frightened right now. Just wanted to do something. I will admit that I'm going to be a horrible presenter. ;)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on February 05, 2010, 02:02:09 PM

No, I'm thoroughly frightened right now. Just wanted to do something. I will admit that I'm going to be a horrible presenter. ;)

Well, at least you're going into this non-fear-inducing activity with the correct attitude...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 05, 2010, 02:15:37 PM

Well, at least you're going into this non-fear-inducing activity with the correct attitude...
The last time I tried to do any kind of "public speaking" was back when I first joined the D&D game, I utterly failed. The time before that, my knees nearly collapsed. I found it hard to walk after. Lets just say it isn't going to be easy. Or pretty for that matter.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

So it went fairly well last night. had like 8 people there (over twice what I was expecting). I was able to keep things moving fairly well (didn't freak out or anything :D). And some people were genuinely interested in things and surprised about some of the things I showed. So for my first real public speaking, it went ok, except for the lack of preparedness on my part (I blame opensuse, it killed its own grub install the night before the presentation, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it quickly enough so I installed kubuntu instead). Unfortunately that caused me to forget to install a lot of "optional" kde components, which made showing some things off, impossible (someone was using ENTS internet fairly heavily, so I couldn't really install a bunch of things while I was talking).

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 05, 2010, 02:15:37 PM
Who is this "Tom", and what happened to the shy guy we all know!  OMG bud, that's fantastic!

Indeed. This way I'm actually able to be surprised when things go well. Rather than have too high expectations and always be disappointed when things inevitably go horribly horribly wrong ;)