Main Menu

All alone ... at work

Started by Thorin, February 15, 2012, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Recently I took on a schedule where I come in to work one day a week so that my wife can go to school without us having to pay a babysitter five days a week.  Over the last year I've watched my coworkers' habits, and Wednesday was the day when there were the most people in the office.  So with my new schedule, I decided Wednesday would be the day that I come in to the office.

So here I am, with everyone else on vacation or working from home.  I could've saved fifteen bucks and two hours commuting (an hour each way) and just stayed home!

What a change from those places that require face time...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

wah wah wah

You know how many times I've been in there with just Abhinav? Well now he's gone so It's pretty @%&#ing depressing...

Suffice to say when I come in in the morning I only make enough for 2 cups of coffee. I think I'll bring in some bobble heads or something so I'll have someone to talk to LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

lol

Well, you chose to get a plant and put it in the office so you'd have to come in, now you have to come in.  No one to blame but yourself :)

I do find on the days that I don't spend an hour commuting each way I work almost as long, so end up doing more work while feeling less worked.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah, it's so much fun living alone in silence and working alone in silence and oh wait, it's not fun at all!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2012, 12:36:12 AM
Yeah, it's so much fun living alone in silence and working alone in silence and oh wait, it's not fun at all!
Just put on this song, and it'll no longer be silent!

But hey, its not as bad as you guys make it out to be. I've pretty much lived alone in silence for years. :P suck it up :P
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2012, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2012, 12:36:12 AM
Just put on this song, and it'll no longer be silent!

But hey, its not as bad as you guys make it out to be. I've pretty much lived alone in silence for years. :P suck it up :P

I'm a pretty sociable person, I'm used to having people around, so going from being in a very populated environment to a virtual desert is uncomfortable.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well that I can understand.  I don't like how quiet our office is, even when most people are there.  I really liked the Sierra experience, where there was different music from different computers at times, and discussions, and nerf play.  Even at home alone, I put on some kind of background sound.  It seems my teammates would prefer quiet.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2012, 08:42:26 PM
going from being in a very populated environment to a virtual desert

Word choice a subconscious reference to Minecraft server crash?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 20, 2012, 01:42:17 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2012, 08:42:26 PM
going from being in a very populated environment to a virtual desert

Word choice a subconscious reference to Minecraft server crash?

Whoa yeah! I guess!!

Quote from: Thorin on February 19, 2012, 10:58:01 PM
Well that I can understand.  I don't like how quiet our office is, even when most people are there.  I really liked the Sierra experience, where there was different music from different computers at times, and discussions, and nerf play.  Even at home alone, I put on some kind of background sound.  It seems my teammates would prefer quiet.

I'll say this when there are a few of us in there now it's not total silence like when I first joined. But yeah, I miss the days of nerf wars and low lighting...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 20, 2012, 07:53:17 AM
I'll say this when there are a few of us in there now it's not total silence like when I first joined. But yeah, I miss the days of nerf wars and low lighting...

Me too, buddy, me too.  Although on the plus side you don't have to hear someone asking me the same .NET questions over and over :)

I've found that most of the time I'm in the office, everyone just puts on their headphones and it's deathly quiet anyway.  Maybe it's just Woeful Wednesday or something.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Strangely I'm actually somewhat of a social person. I know, shocking to hear. I just don't happen to be very good at it, and its more stressful than it needs to be.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 20, 2012, 11:55:04 AM
Strangely I'm actually somewhat of a social person. I know, shocking to hear. I just don't happen to be very good at it, and its more stressful than it needs to be.

Believe me I know that feeling, oddly enough I think working in a less "stuffed with people" type place has helped, but I do miss doing stuff with people I work with (like going for lunch and whatnot). It still happens every other month or so but it's not the same. Not really clicking with anyone...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 20, 2012, 03:42:19 PM

Believe me I know that feeling, oddly enough I think working in a less "stuffed with people" type place has helped, but I do miss doing stuff with people I work with (like going for lunch and whatnot). It still happens every other month or so but it's not the same. Not really clicking with anyone...
Yeah, that sucks. It'd be nice if there were people there a little more often.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 20, 2012, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 20, 2012, 03:42:19 PM

Yeah, that sucks. It'd be nice if there were people there a little more often.

Yep, well I'll see how many peeps are in the office tomorrow I guess :)
By Grabthar's Hammer