want to make a trip out to a cabin in the woods?

Started by Darren Dirt, April 12, 2012, 05:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2012, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 24, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
Life Happened.

But likely gonna go this week, Thursday. Anyone care to come with?

I'm a maybe, depends on how planning goes and how much life is left in me.

I could be up for some Joss Whedon goodness...

#danceofjoy

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 24, 2012, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2012, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 24, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
Life Happened.

But likely gonna go this week, Thursday. Anyone care to come with?

I'm a maybe, depends on how planning goes and how much life is left in me.

I could be up for some Joss Whedon goodness...

#danceofjoy

Still 50/50 right now, I'm booked into meetings from 10:30 to 13:00 on Thursday

After that I will probably just crawl into bed and die
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2012, 02:34:34 PM
So no go for this Joe

dang bro say it aint so joe oh no here we go without yo o wello...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 26, 2012, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2012, 02:34:34 PM
So no go for this Joe

dang bro say it aint so joe oh no here we go without yo o wello...

Yep, worked from home today...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I laughed, I jumped in my seat, I cringed.

Sam Raimi would approve. Buffy + Angel fans definitely will.

Big screen for full experience!

Melbosa

Really?????!?? How does it work for non-horror liking movie goers?  My wife can't stand them but did like movies I would call a horrors (but not totally truly horror ones) - Resident Evils...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on April 26, 2012, 10:37:15 PM
Really?????!?? How does it work for non-horror liking movie goers?  My wife can't stand them but did like movies I would call a horrors (but not totally truly horror ones) - Resident Evils...

I'd say it starts off almost a typical suspense/thriller -- easy on the "horror" -- but then it ... changes.

The first "half" is a semi-typical "teens trapped in a cabin, who will die next" type of film. It's written by Joss Whedon (and the director, Drew "Cloverfield" Goddard) so of course the action/horror (and gore) kicks it up a notch the last half. Plenty of subtle or dark humor, but during the last half there's quite a bit of brutal violence as the story gets a lot deeper, and a few scene have a LOT of blood and flying body parts and whatnot. But during this the story progresses in a less predictable direction than you were expecting in the earlier moments of the film.

Some of the hackyslashy scenes didn't feel quite as tense as a typical horror movie, and something about the way they were shot kinda reminded me of similar stuff in Buffy or Angel episodes (spoiler: thar be zombies!) but once it kicks into high gear you feel like you are along for the ride with the (remaining) protagonists and the level of "ugh!" increases and it definitely felt deserving of an "R" rather than PG13 or w/e.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 27, 2012, 07:24:35 AM
Dammit, sounds good... :D

AVOID reviews and online discussions at all costs -- there's a handful of "thematic word choices" that some reviewers have used that this morning I was reading and I almost felt like yelling through the screen

because even without giving plot DETAILS away they were hinting at what "below the hood" behind all the goings-on, and a smart person watching the movie will "get it" just fine at a nice pace without going into it with some kind of an even basic idea of the flow of the story.

There's hints pretty much from the very first scene and line of dialouge anyway, for those who pay attention... I went in knowing a "possible theory" and unfortunately that affected how I interpreted some of the spoken words and surrounding visuals (some subtle/in the background) and I wish I went completely "blank page" for full enjoyment of the ride, excellent though it still was.

Mr. Analog

Too late Stephen Notley enticed me with promises of hot spoilers, which I read.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 27, 2012, 01:29:19 PM
Too late Stephen Notley enticed me with promises of hot spoilers, which I read.

GEEZ man even Rolling Stone's Peter Travers was so excited by how good it is that he resisted saying ANYTHING spoiler-y in his written and video review (not 100% successful imo, but still did better than Bob The Angry Cartoonist, apparently* :( )

*"it runs on insight and analysis, speaking to the audience as though they understood or were about to understand everything it has to say. It plays its biggest "surprise" at the outset, in the very first scene, playing its trump card to be understood and appreciated." okay that is true and a nice interest-piquing summary now SHUT UP Stephen! (oh wait he basically did ... impressive restraint, Edmonton expat, well done.)