Top 5 Free-To-Play FPS

Started by Melbosa, April 25, 2012, 08:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/team-fortress-2/1223532p1.html

Looks like a nice list there, of course TF2 is top.  But the new Tribes is #2 which means it must be doing well since it's launch.  The third one sounds fun, and I've played the last one.  Not sure about SMNC though...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Is it top 5 as in popularity NOW, popularity of all-time, or top 5 "enduring" games?

Because things like WoW or CoH are still pretty popular (as in the servers still have thousands logging in regularly) even if they're not as fancy-dancy as the later offerings in their genres. I've found myself still having fun in CoH just soloing as my dual-blades brute (currently just hit level 16, been filling up my Dual Origin enhancement for insane power cycling ability now and DB gives me a few "combos" that just make a sweet pleasure to play) and I keep it to about 60-90 minutes at the end of the night then log off ... but some of those "top 5" would require more of a time investment imo so wouldn't really be "top 5" for "everybody" (not that that's even possible ;) )

PS: "Super Monday Night Combat" has an acronym that my tired-in-the-morning brain thought was SMBC ;) I was like "sure they have their video shorts but how can they have a video game?"  :o

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

While you are right that the MMOs you listed are still popular, I realize it is early for you (by your own words).  This is a top FPS listing so MMOs are kinda out of scope of the list.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

ROFL thanks for making me re-read the thread title  :-X  ... but my brain saw "free to play" and normally MMOs are what comes to mind I guess I assumed it, didn't notice the "FPS" my brain replaced those 3 letters with the other 3 :badbrain, bad!:

Please forgive me; Time to make my morning tea I guess...

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Just going to bump this and add Ghost Recon Online

I got curious after TotalBiscuit did his review and it ain't bad.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 21, 2013, 10:19:56 AM
Just going to bump this and add Ghost Recon Online

it ain't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCaLhBCFtNQ
BOOYAH! (or maybe more like Oorah?)

PS: what a difference just-under-a-year can make...

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 25, 2012, 08:28:36 AM
Is it top 5 as in popularity NOW, popularity of all-time, or top 5 "enduring" games?

Because things like WoW or CoH are still pretty popular (as in the servers still have thousands logging in regularly)

:'( :boohoo: