What Midnight Looks Like at Every Stage of Your Life. (Yeah, I'm "40")

Started by Darren Dirt, May 24, 2012, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

??? Apparently I am in my 40s?

Seems a bit off to me, but still funny.

Thorin

So, uh, a young child when one is in one's 40s?  So they're assuming we procreated around 38, 39?  At 39 my oldest will be driving, and even my youngest will be past bedtime stories.  I guess for me it's just too stereotypical and doesn't handle the myriad other possibilities in people's lives.

I, for one, will expect to always be up late.  It's in my genetic makeup.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 24, 2012, 05:32:59 PM
So, uh, a young child when one is in one's 40s?  So they're assuming we procreated around 38, 39?  At 39 my oldest will be driving, and even my youngest will be past bedtime stories.  I guess for me it's just too stereotypical and doesn't handle the myriad other possibilities in people's lives.

I, for one, will expect to always be up late.  It's in my genetic makeup.

I'm one short of 40.

But my youngest child sometimes wants me there to fall asleep -- occasionally we read a bedtime story together.

But I "started young", a whole lot of people nowadays ain't getting hitched until their mid-30s, and don't always start with the rugruts until a few years after that. (Idiots, in my opinion -- cue scene from Father Of The Bride 2, where he's like 70 @ his new unborn child's graduation day).

Mr. Analog

It's interesting to note that cultural views on sex (and laws) greatly affected the median marriage age, for example the 1950s-1960s had the lowest median first marriage age, this was a time when recreational @%&#ing was considered bad form of the highest degree:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html

By the 1990s we were back to the 1890s median marriage age WACKY HUH!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It's important, if looking at median first marriage age, to also look at how many were never married (since these don't affect the median first marriage age, but still have a significant impact on the overall state of marriage): http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193922.html

It shows that people were more likely to get married in the 50s and 60s, but that there are still less unmarried people (as a percentage of the total) than there was in the first half of the last century.

Another interesting number is how many divorced people there were.  9% of the population was divorced, 58% was married.  That kinda puts to rest the false statement that half of all marriages end up in divorce - turns out 9/(58+9) = about 1 in 7.5.

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 26, 2012, 02:22:56 AM
It's important, if looking at median first marriage age, to also look at how many were never married (since these don't affect the median first marriage age, but still have a significant impact on the overall state of marriage): http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193922.html

It shows that people were more likely to get married in the 50s and 60s, but that there are still less unmarried people (as a percentage of the total) than there was in the first half of the last century.

Another interesting number is how many divorced people there were.  9% of the population was divorced, 58% was married.  That kinda puts to rest the false statement that half of all marriages end up in divorce - turns out 9/(58+9) = about 1 in 7.5.
What are the numbers for how many divorces and marriages this/last decade? If most of those people who did get divorced remaried, then there would still be a significant number of people married.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

It's on the link actually, I wish I had found that matrix first, it's awesome and paints a very interesting picture!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I thought the fact that the widowed rate was falling fast was interesting.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 26, 2012, 12:30:47 PM
It's on the link actually, I wish I had found that matrix first, it's awesome and paints a very interesting picture!
I wonder if that means how many divorces there were, or how many people just didn't remarry?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I think my earlier link (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193922.html) just shows a current snapshot, not when they got married/divorced.  I think I might've interpreted the data wrong, as this other link (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005044.html) shows there are approximately twice as many people getting married in a year as are getting divorced.  This _would_ support the statement that half of all (current) marriages end up in divorce.  Of course there are people who stay married all their life and people who marry and divorce five or more times, so you can't necessarily draw a conclusion about one person's chance of staying married, as there are many other factors to consider.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

[ontopic]so last night at midnight I was tired. at 1230 I had a second wind and didn't get to sleep until 2am. Slept in until 10ish and already really sleepy at just 7pm #beingoldsucks

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 26, 2012, 08:48:22 PM
The main thing was it was a good day though right?

hellsyeah it was!

(but my eyes are totally bloodshot and burning now ... it's been a few months since I last partook in this activity.)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer