Lockdown, computer-style

Started by Thorin, July 04, 2012, 10:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Lockdown, an idea popularized by Apple: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/05/apples-crystal-prison-and-future-open-platforms

The article basically talks about how Apple's restrictive policies stifle the very innovation that helped create its success.  I hope you'll read it, as there are some real gems in there (such as the way OS X scares users away from non-Apple software, and how Windows 8 is attempting to adopt the nothing-but-our-software stance as well).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

the Microsoft hardware future restricting -- Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware interface specification -- seems pretty scary:

"...in order to be Windows 8 hardware certified, personal computers must implement the 'secure boot' option in the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware interface specification, which is a modern replacement for the traditional PC BIOS. When 'secure mode' is enabled, UEFI will execute only operating system bootloader code that is digitally signed, which could effectively shut out non-Windows 8 operating systems, including earlier versions of Windows.

...For Windows computers with ARM processors, which will include Microsoft's new Windows RT tablet devices ... Manufacturers will be forbidden to allow booting to any operating system besides Windows. Microsoft is copying Apple's model and denying their users the right to chose an alternative OS or modify the one they paid for."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

In a word: DOY

People think they want an appliance until someone decides a feature of that appliance isn't what YOU should have and lock it out.

And thanks to the DMCA hacking is "illegal", so you get stuck between greedy @%&#ers trying to squeeze every last cent out of you and strip you of things you paid for while the real criminals enjoy a hassle-free existence (at least with their toys).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'm glad I'm slowly switching my family over to Android-based devices.  I don't know if my family has even noticed, really, other than things looking a little different.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2012, 11:56:32 AM
I'm glad I'm slowly switching my family over to Android-based devices.  I don't know if my family has even noticed, really, other than things looking a little different.

Hopefully Google stays friendly I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2012, 11:56:32 AM

I am guessing you picked devices that where root-able and didn't have locked boot loaders?