City of Heroes Done!

Started by Melbosa, September 05, 2012, 09:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

They killed off the NA servers for Lineage, not sure if it was a chicken/egg thing though (i.e. not enough North American users to justify it).

The real blow is going to come with GW2 because as I understand it some people have got 100% completion already (not level cap mind you, 100% done EVERY single story/side quest) AND the PVP isn't all that good (apparently nothing much was changed from the crippled beta).

I think NCSoft is in some trouble and I'm saddened even more that CoH had to take the fall for it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

My blood shot eyes took the fall as well... grinded out a few 'Defeat all... Find all the...' missions. Level 37 still. But only played cuz I wanna show ' vote with your feet' support for a game I've loved playing since the beginning that others are fighting to save.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Who knows, maybe a dev slept with an executive's wife and this is payback...  There's the external reasons given, and then there'll be internal reasons that we're never privy to.  But @%&#canning an entire development team, instead of switching them to a new project, that's kinda weird.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It would be cool if they could make the server software available, maybe set up our own instances. I have a friend who did that with WoW a few years back so his family could play without typical WoW BS
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 06, 2012, 05:51:41 AM
The real blow is going to come with GW2 because as I understand it some people have got 100% completion already (not level cap mind you, 100% done EVERY single story/side quest) AND the PVP isn't all that good (apparently nothing much was changed from the crippled beta).

I don't think GW2 is an NCSoft game this time around...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

They should give everyone VIP Access for the last two months, cause you can't even pay for VIP Access right now :(

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 06, 2012, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 06, 2012, 05:51:41 AM

I don't think GW2 is an NCSoft game this time around...

ArenaNet is a subsidiary of NCSoft.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah I just noticed that... yet you can't even see GW2 on NCSoft's site... weird setup there.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 06, 2012, 08:57:58 AM
Yeah I just noticed that... yet you can't even see GW2 on NCSoft's site... weird setup there.

It's a mess that's for sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 06, 2012, 08:52:43 AM
It would be cool if they could make the server software available, maybe set up our own instances. I have a friend who did that with WoW a few years back so his family could play without typical WoW BS

WoW server software is available even though they're still running servers?  That's surprising - you'd think they would want the subscription dollars while they're still running servers.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 09:14:18 AM

WoW server software is available even though they're still running servers?  That's surprising - you'd think they would want the subscription dollars while they're still running servers.
That wasn't because Blizzard wanted you to have WoW server code... kinda got leaked/reverse engineered.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 06, 2012, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 09:14:18 AM

That wasn't because Blizzard wanted you to have WoW server code... kinda got leaked/reverse engineered.

Exactly, turns out the servers just negotiate what's happening between the clients, the clients run most of the world the player interacts with. This was discovered mostly by people who were interested in automation, turns out most of what's happening on the servers are player/mob locations and damage/death update data.
By Grabthar's Hammer