Cave Crawl II: Electric Boogaloo

Started by Mr. Analog, September 13, 2012, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Cool, I guess I better start planing stuff out then :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The moat is done, it's three blocks wide and two blocks deep, and all hills around the fortress have been trimmed back so for every block they're higher than the moat, they've been trimmed back two blocks.

Dynamic Map: http://tomasu.org:8123/?worldname=righteouswrath&mapname=flat&zoom=6&x=-1519&y=64&z=-349

Overviewer: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-1501/64/-367/-1/0/0
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Not only is it water, but the bottom is all non-grass dirt blocks.

First I dug the moat one block deep, then filled it with water, then I put on my dive helmet (golden helmet with Respiration III on it) and dug out the second layer.  Once the second layer was all gone, I dug out any stone or gravel showing and placed dirt.

I did the one-block-deep water first to ensure there weren't any currents created.  It also only took two buckets, as I simply placed water two blocks apart and then it created new source blocks between the water I'd placed.

Also, I dug up more than a double-chest' worth of dirt, and a bunch of stone and some gravel, too...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Zoiks!! Well keep the gravel and dirt, dirt is great for helping build stuff up (nerd poles yay!)

I guess I better start laying out designs hah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Uhh, you mean some people throw stuff away?  I just build more chests!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 31, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
Uhh, you mean some people throw stuff away?  I just build more chests!

Yep, they usually have small lava disposals with trap doors (from what I've seen)

I keep most stuff too, especially gravel (now) because it makes great roads.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I think a piston powered hidden draw bridge is needed..

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 31, 2012, 10:40:18 AM
I think a piston powered hidden draw bridge is needed..

Aww yeah! Gotta build that too!

Great now I'm going to be designing redstone gizmos ^W^W^W paying attention during my next meeting
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I've been thinking about how to do a piston-powered drawbridge.  I don't think it'll be easy.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 31, 2012, 11:48:23 AM
I've been thinking about how to do a piston-powered drawbridge.  I don't think it'll be easy.

Sure it will, the question you need to ask is whether or not it should be controlled on both sides of the moat

I will probably need 12 pistons, 6 sand, a bunch of redstone a couple of buttons

The idea would be to double lift a sand block, I can keep the bridge up with a memory cell and flip it's state using a toggle.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, so...  I did do some trying on this before I said it wouldn't be easy.  To double-lift and double-collapse requires a sticky on a sticky.  To get the redstone signal to the upper sticky requires redstone on the side.  But there's water there so we'd need to find a way to protect said redstone from said water, since flowing water breaks redstone wire.

Hmm, this got me thinking, though.  We could double-lift a taller stack of sand and then all the redstone can be further underground, away from the water.

Remember that the top piston has to be collapsed before the bottom sticky piston, or else the bottom piston won't pull the top one.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Believe me I've played around with Redstone.

I know what I'm doingtm
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So you know that water and redstone don't mix, not even side by side.

RP2 would definitely make this easier and prettier.

Anyway, I think we'll need a switch on both sides, otherwise we'll never be able to get in the castle!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 31, 2012, 02:17:08 PM
So you know that water and redstone don't mix, not even side by side.

RP2 would definitely make this easier and prettier.

Anyway, I think we'll need a switch on both sides, otherwise we'll never be able to get in the castle!
Wireless redstone \o/
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!