J.J. Abrams To Direct Star Wars VII

Started by Mr. Analog, January 25, 2013, 08:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Dang it, conflicted over another stunning Avengers film vs a potentially awesome treatment of Star Wars

*waugh*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

since we gotta wait a likely 2+ years before anything hits the Big Screen, fans and haters alike are discussing/debates various nuances of the SW universe.

Wired over-thinks the whole "Kessel run in under 12 parsecs" line
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/kessel-run-12-parsecs/

I like what the COMMENTS point out -- that Kenobi's subtle reaction says it all, that Solo was just seeing how badly he could gouge the likely marks, depending on their space-smarts.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Though it hasn't been discussed in-universe (to my knowledge) in books and other Star Wars media it has been acknowledged that the Kessel Run may actually be affected by how close a pilot could get to a series of black holes, the closer you can navigate through them the faster your run.

Of course this is a case where fan-based cognitive dissonance tries to step in and make sense of nonsense (see: Star Trek)

This is why I enjoy speculative fiction that either dodges technobabble or goes to extreme lengths to try to build workable principles within a fictional framework (Arthur C Clarke)

Meanwhile I'll be re-routing the backup power converters through the main deflector dish to create a reverse tachyon pulse wave and simultaneously transport the female crew's undergarments into subspace.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 19, 2013, 11:34:48 AM
Wired over-thinks the whole "Kessel run in under 12 parsecs" line
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/kessel-run-12-parsecs/

also: "HOTH -- So Much for Striking Back" http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
Though it hasn't been discussed in-universe (to my knowledge) in books and other Star Wars media it has been acknowledged that the Kessel Run may actually be affected by how close a pilot could get to a series of black holes, the closer you can navigate through them the faster your run.

Of course this is a case where fan-based cognitive dissonance tries to step in and make sense of nonsense (see: Star Trek)

It was 'splained, sorta, in the Atlas, apparently.

And it's so ironic when you realize what the linked comment pointed out... that there isn't even a NEED to "figure out the future-science"!

Cuz in the ORIGINAL SCRIPT penned by LUCAS, it was intended as an intentional junk-science claim by Han, not as a tricky "there's an implication of warped space in that region, we'll give you details later in non-film post-uproar 'canon', folks!" teaser.

If Lucas et al had just said "Han knew it was BS what he was claiming, it gave you a hint of his rogue-like personality -- coolness amirite!?" then no need for blackholes and whatnot.

Mr. Analog

Was it? Which version of the script exactly because there are a few floating around out there (of which I have two, and THREE novelizations of the script [ok, so one is in comic form])

Both copies are lacking stage direction notes so I'm curious. Not that it matters. I won't die if I don't know (but seriously tell me or I will use the universal kinetic power the micro-organisms my body hosts to remotely asphyxiate you)

What the need to do for the next Star Wars film is to either have dancing (like in that Kinect game) or explain what happened to Ahsoka between The Clone Wars and Episode III

If only Harvey Korman was still alive to provide talent for the next film.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2013, 11:59:29 AM
Was it? Which version of the script exactly because there are a few floating around out there (of which I have two, and THREE novelizations of the script [ok, so one is in comic form])

Both copies are lacking stage direction notes so I'm curious. Not that it matters. I won't die if I don't know (but seriously tell me or I will use the universal kinetic power the micro-organisms my body hosts to remotely asphyxiate you)

Just going based on this...

Quote from: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/kessel-run-12-parsecs/#comment-796588771
Mark Z. ? 7 days ago
Han is *supposed* to get his units wrong. This is from Lucas' own fourth draft screenplay (http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/S...

"HAN: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

BEN: Should I have?

HAN: It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation."

*Misinformation*. Lucas knows his units, Han Solo doesn't, and it's a little piece of character development and a wonderfully underplayed moment from Alec Guinness. As much as I admire the writer who cooked up the black hole explanation, there's no need to resort to that when the truth is right in the script.

^ the link "Mark Z" provided is not-quite-correct, it shoulda been http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-A-New-Hope.html

the full context (i.e. PROFIT MOTIVE) is below, the line mentioned by "Mark Z" is this: Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.
INT. TATOOINE - MOS EISLEY - CANTINA

Strange creatures play exotic big band music on odd-looking
               instruments as Luke, still giddy, downs a fresh drink and
               follows Ben and Chewbacca to a booth where Han Solo is
               sitting. Han is a tough, roguish starpilot about thirty years
               old. A mercenary on a starship, he is simple, sentimental,
               and cocksure.

HAN
                         Han Solo. I'm captain of the
                         Millennium Falcon. Chewie here tells
                         me you're looking for passage to the
                         Alderaan system.

BEN
                         Yes, indeed. If it's a fast ship.

HAN
                         Fast ship? You've never heard of the
                         Millennium Falcon?

BEN
                         Should I have?

HAN
                         It's the ship that made the Kessel
                         run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with
               obvious misinformation.

HAN
                         I've outrun Imperial starships, not
                         the local bulk-cruisers, mind you.
                         I'm talking about the big Corellian
                         ships now. She's fast enough for
                         you, old man. What's the cargo?

BEN
                         Only passengers. Myself, the boy,
                         two droids, and no questions asked.

HAN
                         What is it? Some kind of local
                         trouble?

BEN
                         Let's just say we'd like to avoid
                         any Imperial entanglements.

HAN
                         Well, that's the trick, isn't it?
                         And it's going to cost you something
                         extra. Ten thousand in advance.

Tom

It's J. J. you just know they are going to do a reboot.

;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Great find man! Decades of wondering put to rest hah!

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2013, 01:05:44 PM
It's J. J. you just know they are going to do a reboot.

;)

Alternate dimension where Darth Vader is good and people wear hats on their feet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

and speaking of brain damage... how about these for a nice feel-stupid exercise during your afternoon break?

I can't believe how I even recognized but still somehow forgot the "trick" to guessing "what's next" in the pattern.

(thanks so much, Karl Sims, for putting that on your website so when we are on a random Wikipedia-triggered skim-research tangent, you make us feel even dumber -- or oh wait is it more dumb?)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: http://www.contactmusic.com/in-depth/where-are-we-with-star-wars-episode-vii_3900959
Filming is due to get underway with the first of the new trilogy, and so far we don't really have much of a clue as to what's going on.

...acclaimed screenwriter Michael Arndt is in charge of the script. As it stands, Arndt is the sole name attached to the screenwriting duties, although it has also been revealed that Lucas will work as a "consultant" during the writing and filming process to ensure that his vision of the Star Wars universe isn't too heavily tampered with. Considering how well his vision was realised in the three prequels, this might not be a great thing...

...positive appointment that has been confirmed so far is the legend that is John Williams will be returning to score the next instalments of the franchise, ensuring the films have that blissful cinematic musical backing that made the first films so good (and the prequels just that little bit more bearable). Williams confirmed his role on the project this summer and he has already began working on the score for the film...
Also, Abrams is still directing (even though for a little while he and Disney weren't seeing eye-to-eye, apparently).

Mr. Analog

Quoteensure that [George Lucas'] vision of the Star Wars universe isn't too heavily tampered with

Yes... "tampered with"
By Grabthar's Hammer