need media streamer suggestions (WD TV Live, Roku, etc)

Started by Thorin, July 06, 2013, 10:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I don't really have high expectations. I expect the device to /work/ :P Even if it only does something simple (because its cheap), it shouldn't require a firmware restore every other week or so. :P

Also their support people /suuuccckkkk/.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 03:27:42 PM
I don't really have high expectations. I expect the device to /work/ :P Even if it only does something simple (because its cheap), it shouldn't require a firmware restore every other week or so. :P

Also their support people /suuuccckkkk/.

I have never needed to do a firmware restore on the Roku to get it to work, it sounds to me like you may have had a defective unit?

Tom

You'd expect it to fully brick if that was the case. sounds like its crappy coding to me. As if the roku or netflix noticed the internet was down, but forgets to check if its back up, and won't connect again.

And clearly roku doesn't think so. they keep trying to blame her router or isp.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 03:57:37 PM
You'd expect it to fully brick if that was the case. sounds like its crappy coding to me. As if the roku or netflix noticed the internet was down, but forgets to check if its back up, and won't connect again.

And clearly roku doesn't think so. they keep trying to blame her router or isp.

Netflix basically works EVERY time on my Roku, it might actually be a router issue or a defective Roku... I have issues with the plex app from time to time however, but I also run beta releases of the server and unsupported plugins.

Tom

I can't guarantee it absolutely requires a firmware reset. but it does seem to be the quickest and easiest way for my mom to fix whatever it is.

Not a router issue though, they have two laptops and a computer that work fine at the same time.

Tom

Forgot to mention, I was somewhat disappointed with the netflix app on the roku xs. was a bit of a pain to navigate I found. I won't judge it based on its seeking, as my mom's internet is only 3mbps, it was kinda slow to seek, but thats kind of expected with her internet.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2013, 04:30:12 PM
Forgot to mention, I was somewhat disappointed with the netflix app on the roku xs. was a bit of a pain to navigate I found. I won't judge it based on its seeking, as my mom's internet is only 3mbps, it was kinda slow to seek, but thats kind of expected with her internet.

Ya, I keep forgetting. The WD TV has a better more advanced Netflix app... It actually has the kids mode feature etc... The Roku one is really limited for browsing and discovering.

Mr. Analog

I've used 3 different flavours of Netflix now and they are all very clunky.

Once you get over the curve though it shouldn't hold you back.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Got a roku 2 xs since you guys recommended it so highly... Tried the wifi connection so I didn't have to dig out a long enough ethernet cable. turns out its wifi sucks. won't stream in netflix "superhd", and the netflix ui tends to lag and not load images...

Just hooked up ethernet, and the video quality is (eventually) better. but the stupid show lists still don't like to load ::)

netflix ftl.

Lazybones

- don't do HD over wifi (its all about sustained Minimum throughput)
- shaw supports Netflix superHD in your area? I saw several recent threads about shaw users complaining it was not supported yet
- the roku is one of the few devices that officially supports netflix superHD
- do you experience any Netflix issue from PCs on the same network?

Tom

Netflix doesn't support teh lunix, so I can't test netflix streaming on PCs.

But yeah, its streaming decently on the roku, after it figures out what bitrate it can get away with. And it does seem shaw supports superhd here.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 07, 2013, 05:58:06 PM

But yeah, its streaming decently on the roku, after it figures out what bitrate it can get away with. And it does seem shaw supports superhd here.

I thought it ran on Ubuntu these days, or at least under Wine
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 07, 2013, 06:51:35 PM

Tom doesn't run Ubuntu

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 07, 2013, 07:09:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 07, 2013, 06:51:35 PM

Tom doesn't run Ubuntu

Yepp, when it comes to app support knowing the flavour of Linux is important ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Thing is, I run debian, which is pretty much the same as ubuntu where it really matters (I got steam installed just fine). And I couldn't get it to actually launch the installer properly. It would get to the beginning and try and download some file and fail repeatedly.

With a separate box for netflix though, I can keep my place in xbmc, and in netflix.. so I can just leave things where they are and not have to remember where I was in a specific show or whatever.