Disconnecting from the violinist

Started by Darren Dirt, September 23, 2014, 08:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Here's a Quora discussion that could have turned into something very different than it did -- http://www.quora.com/Do-you-believe-that-people-should-be-legally-prevented-from-disconnecting-from-the-violinist-should-they-choose-to-do-so

I like how -- as in other excellent Quora reads I have enjoyed -- instead of participants simply answering, they question the question itself :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

This reads like an extended Zippy the Pinhead comic
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

"You must sign in to read past the first answer" aka "You must give us access to your social media account >:)".
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Or, y'know, just create an alt account you use to sign up for crap like this
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Nah. I really can't be bothered. If they want to pull bull@%&# like that their site isn't worth using.

Mr. Analog

Most sites lack a moderation system for commenting, so I'd rather have that extra step that deters most trolls (due to laziness)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, I also refrain from commenting on most anything, except a few random youtube videos that are from people that have decently behaved audiences. Internet commenting is a thing I haven't found worth it in a very long time. Mostly trolls. I just avoid reading most of it. so really not worth bothering. They can't have my main social media accounts, and setting up a dummy account is not worth it ;)

Mr. Analog

I'd agree with you on things like Click-Bait articles

Commenting on Forums, creator content, etc is big part of my daily life. Feedback is so critical in a lot of things as well as reaching out to people

Getting into Kirk v Picard type pissing contests... well YMMV, some people really get off on arguing stupid stuff online, it's easier to just avoid that kind of toxic content.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'll agree you care about some feedback as a content creator. But for me, internet commenting is usually not worth it. I tend to get riled up by idiots, so I skip it all-together.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2014, 10:59:50 AM
Nah. I really can't be bothered. If they want to pull bull@%&# like that their site isn't worth using.
Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2014, 11:08:16 AM
Yeah, I also refrain from commenting on most anything, except a few random youtube videos that are from people that have decently behaved audiences. Internet commenting is a thing I haven't found worth it in a very long time. Mostly trolls. I just avoid reading most of it. so really not worth bothering. They can't have my main social media accounts, and setting up a dummy account is not worth it ;)

tbh I signed up with VERY minimal info, just an email address that I am willing to get a daily "digest"* ... and in the months that have followed I have gotten no well-intentioned spam, and there is no connection to any of my "social media" info, and here's why I shared this -- Quora is by far the most intelligent, thought-provoking, and flame-war-resistant community I have ever found on the internet. It's the place that got me thinking about really taking control of my developer career (i.e. where I learned about the Boot Camps etc.) and I have also learned quite a bit about culture and history of various nations and peoples (because I already do that kind of self-directed learning on Wikipedia, but on Quora it's more personal and way more fascinating.)

*On Quora all I do is lurk, never replying to comments or offering answers, but the daily email digest can be easily and quickly tweaked to include only subjects/topics that you find of great interest ... which I have done long ago and now look forward to the unpredictable direction the occasional Question sometimes takes me, along with adding to my knowledge bank of areas I desire. Definitely not a "click bait" type of waste of space.

PS: Sorry folks, I did not realize that Quora limits you to viewing just 1 unless you are "signed up". But to me it's just like the IMDB forums, quickly creating an account with minimal info opened the door to a vibrant community of vocal folks (but like I said Quora -- vs IMDB and others like it -- is supremely awesome at excluding trolls, whether by specific moderation or just by the nature of its intelligence-centered content I do not know which it is). Think of it like text-article-based TED talks but more focused and without a lot of shallow fluff.

Tom

It only gave me the option to sign up with G+ and Facebook. thanks but no :P

Darren Dirt

So you actually have real content in your Google Plus account? :shocked: cuz I definitely don't, I guess I ended up using that because I knew it was essentially a fake account :)

Tom

It's still tied to my google data. Not letting anything touch that.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2014, 05:11:53 PM

Except for all the sites you search for, advertisers who host content there, etc, etc

;) pokin' the bear
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 24, 2014, 05:16:25 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2014, 05:11:53 PM

Except for all the sites you search for, advertisers who host content there, etc, etc

;) pokin' the bear
At least i have some control over accepting some random site to directly access my accounts :P