GBrowser -- enduring rumour no longer just vaporware

Started by Darren Dirt, September 02, 2008, 08:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2010, 12:56:21 PM
Yes, super resource intensive apps I can certainly support and admire ;)

I don't see Chrome using any more than any other browser I have installed (FF, IE), the key difference is that it does so much more and the features they add are actually useful and intuitive (so far anyway).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 24, 2010, 01:13:19 PM

I don't see Chrome using any more than any other browser I have installed (FF, IE), the key difference is that it does so much more and the features they add are actually useful and intuitive (so far anyway).
I tend to have a lot of tabs and/or windows open. Chrome tends to use up the same amount of memory, with half the tabs/sites open.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2010, 01:20:27 PM

I tend to have a lot of tabs and/or windows open. Chrome tends to use up the same amount of memory, with half the tabs/sites open.

Mmm, I know what you mean but it all seem about the same on my systems (Win XP/Win 7)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 24, 2010, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2010, 01:20:27 PM

Mmm, I know what you mean but it all seem about the same on my systems (Win XP/Win 7)
Might be time to try again. Though I'm also stuck on Firefox 3.5.

Darren Dirt

Can anyone believe it's been only 6.5 years since Google "Game Changer" Chrome was released? I am having trouble remembering a time when there WASN'T Chrome as a web browser option.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

And in that time it's become one of the most bloated pieces of browsing software I've seen in a long time

In the beginning it was memory intense but fast. Now it's just a resource hog with less flexibility than everything else

I went back to Firefox. Firefox drove me away with bad change decisions then Chrome did the exact same thing (ironically Firefox is still one of the best options IMO)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 20, 2015, 02:00:16 PM
And in that time it's become one of the most bloated pieces of browsing software I've seen in a long time

No argument from me (or most of us in the forum).

Sadly.

I also went to Firefox for most of my web stuff, other than if I need to use Chrome Remote Desktop.

And on a side note the @%&#ing morons in charge at G recently broke that too. Not critically, but in a few ways that make no damn sense, that took away functionality and added confusion, both of which users quickly complained about on their support forums and on the Google Play page for the Android app... Will G never learn? Unjustifiable BLOAT + arbitrary removal of coherent "give user a choice" features = the reason even "common" folks eventually get to hating Microsoft!

Mr. Analog

Google seems very fond of adding great features and then crippling the hell out of them later

At least under the current regime of thought

Give the devs back their 20% of creative time!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So...  What are the things you want in a browser?  And what are the things you consider bloat?

Some people really like that their shortcuts follow them from computer to computer, others hate it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I just want it to run alongside other apps I'm running

Sometimes I like to listen YouTube videos while I'm coding and oddly Chrome dies a dismal death where Firefox says afloat

Also startup time and tabs seem less buggy in Firefox, Chrome may protect tabs from each other but if one dies it seems to drag all the sessions down
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, I haven't had any problems.  Although I do have Flashblock, Adblock, and Ghostery installed to keep "extra bits" to a minimum.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Chrome often hits 8GB+ ram for me. It's a good thing I have 32GB ram in this laptop or I'd run out of ram all the darn time.

Mr. Analog

I feel like memory usage has always been high on Chrome but the tradeoff was fast rendering, for me it seemed like that balance shifted, while it was still heavy on memory usage it was also slow to the point where I thought my internet was the problem. I downloaded FF and everything returned to normal. I thought it might be something to do with the version I was using so I got rid of it all (surprisingly hard to do) and re-installed and found right out the box with no plugins or anything Chrome had turned into a sloth over the years

Oh well, good thing we have browser options!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2015, 05:44:18 PM

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 20, 2015, 05:28:58 PM
I just want it to run alongside other apps I'm running

Sometimes I like to listen YouTube videos while I'm coding and oddly Chrome dies a dismal death where Firefox says afloat

Also startup time and tabs seem less buggy in Firefox, Chrome may protect tabs from each other but if one dies it seems to drag all the sessions down

Hmm, I haven't had any problems.  Although I do have Flashblock, Adblock, and Ghostery installed to keep "extra bits" to a minimum.

I agree, Mr. A is describing things I for the most part have not experienced.

It's mainly the memory usage that never used to be necessary but now seems to be. I like the stability and the tab independence, but seems like recent changes to the plugin policies, along with arbitrary crippling by Google devs, are making some of us longterm Chrome-lovers a bit worried... and thinking of switching teams. And sad for it, because remember how ugly the web browser environment was BEFORE Chrome? That's why I said "game changer", because it really did trigger a new "revolution" of features and design approach etc... But there's no way in the current landscape that some big respected megacorp is gonna introduce a similar revolutionary offering that picks up momentum so quick and motivates everyone to improve things etc.

I miss the mid-to-late 2000s when standards were king and the user was put first and things looked to be getting better month by month, choice-wise and feature-wise... now most websites have 25 different JS plugins and take longer to load ( even with Flashblock and Adblock!) and the browsers seem to render less quickly than they used to but use more RAM and hang more often... wtf?

/oldManGrumpyRant

Mr. Analog

Yeh, remember those annoying Flash video ads mit der sound und der video? The ones you could block by turning off Flash?

HTML5

*that is all*
By Grabthar's Hammer